Inexperienced but seeking advice

Charles Mark

Dec 5, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
New at computer w/little experience at model trains (N)
Benchwork done several years ago w/homesoate over plywood
9' x 10' around room approx 30" w
Haven't given attention to it until now. Would foam be easier to work with? Have DC now. New engines purchased OK to buy w/decoder?

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
Unless you are going to use DCC, I wouldn't buy with a decoder installed. First, I think I've heard you can't run it on straight DC (someone more knowledgeable can speak to this, too) and, second, it's extra money spent for something you won't use.

Dick

Charles Mark

Dec 5, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
Originally posted by Charles Mark
New at computer w/little experience at model trains (N)
Benchwork done several years ago w/homesoate over plywood
9' x 10' around room approx 30" w
Haven't given attention to it until now. Would foam be easier to work with? Have DC now. New engines purchased OK to buy w/decoder?

Charles Mark

Dec 5, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
Told you I am new at this
DCC looks interesting but am not sure you can run both DC and DCC with same controller. In my future if I can. Be worth extra expense now to buy new engines w/decoders if I can.

absnut

Oct 18, 2002
Maine
Visit site
I believe it safe to say that most new engines come "decoder ready" and require a minimum of work to install. If DCC is only in your future, I think I'd buy without and add them later when/if you switch over. As far as running both decoder and non-decoder equipped locos together, I don't think you can successfully. I am still not convinced you can run a decoder equipped loco on DC. You'd best check that out before purchasing.

Dick

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
The Atlas locos which come with decoders installed come set to run on DC. To run on DCC, a plug is roatated 180 degrees. So these are perfect for someone not into DCC now but thinking of going to it later. Also, Digitrax decoders at least, and I think others, can run on DC. Performance is a bit downgraded.

Gary

Woodie

Mar 23, 2001
Northern Rivers NSW Australia
Originally posted by Charles Mark
Is it usual to buy all 3 or mix up loco names?
CM

G'day Charles, and welcome to our little home. :)

The decision is entirely yours. If you are keen on a particular railroad, then all you rollingstock/locos should match that railroad. There is nothing wrong with buying the same number!! Only you will notice the multiple locos with the same number!!! If you like many railroads and their schemes then by all means, mix and match.
You may wish to model a particular railroad, and the different schemes/livery through the ages. Again, the decision is yours.

Wish I had enough dosh to "buy all 3"!! :( :(

Gary Pfeil

May 7, 2001
Boonton NJ
Visit site
Charles, When using DCC, most people use the loco number as the address for the decoder. Therefore, buying more than one of each road # is generally avoided. Also, "serious" modelers want to be able to identify a particular unit by #, more than one of a # on the layout causes problems for that. Of course, a lot of people don't care. There is no right or wrong here. Unless you really really want more of a particular loco than #'s available, I suggest you avoid buying multiple of same #. You can also renumber locos if you ever desire to.

Dick, Sorry to say I don't know about the N scale locos. I have a couple HO units but don't know anybody with Atlas N scale units to ask. Someone here or in the N scale forum might know.

Gary

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
While Digitrax decoders can run on DC, Soundtrax decoders won't. If access to the decoder is quick, and easy, you can replace the decoder with a "dummy plug", to operate on DC without performance problems.
Pete

Charles Mark

Dec 5, 2002
Washington State
Visit site
Thanks for the replys.
I'm in over my head but will gain knowledge with time.
I've had benchwork done for several years/lots of DC equiptment and everything else but am just now ready to go forward. Think I need to find an "N - club" to join so that I can benefit from their experience. Only been retired since 7/31/200. CM