Industry pictures needed

babydot94513

Member in training
Sep 1, 2002
Brentwood, Ca
Visit site
I am looking for advice and photographs of your HO scale bulk cement operations.

I plan on scratch-building my own rather than buy the old stand-by Walthers product. Not that it is not a good product, but I want to try and make my own.

I have perused several facilities in/around the San Francisco Bay Area and Sacramento area to see what various cement facilities look like and while there are not alot of choices, there is a variety.

Any photos you wish to share of what you have built and your comments on how best to model this would be appreciated.

Jeff

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
babydot, I quickly read your post and went on a search for cement plants at my fave reference site. Then I re-read your post and realized you were looking for model photos, which I don't have. But, since I found this picture already I thought I'd just share it anyway, in case it's of use to you.

BTW, my fave reference site for architecture is called Historial American Buildings Survey or HABS for short. It's part of the Library of Congress and is an amazing collection of photos and sometimes even scale drawings - a modeler's delight. Here's the URL

http://memory.loc.gov/ammem/hhhtml/hhhome.html

cheers
:D Val

Attachments

• cement01.jpg
    cement01.jpg
    21.9 KB · Views: 148

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I see you live in Brentwood, Ca. Have you considered a cement mine (actual term is Gypsum mine) rather than a bulk plant? If you go out to the Inland Empire to look at mine sights, there is one mine up Gypsum Canyon Rd. off of the 91 freeway in the Santa Ana Canyon. There are also a couple of them in the Riverside and San Bernardino areas including one East of the 60 freeway off of market Street off ramp that has probably a 3-6 track yard right along side of the road where they stage empty cement hoppers to load and loaded cement hoppers to ship. I think it is about 8-10 miles East of the 60 freeway on Market St. going away from downtown Riverside. I'm not sure but I think Market St. may change names before you get to thew mine. If you go to that mine, you'll go past a "table" mountain. Actually through a canyon between two mountains and then two or three miles beyond. That mine would be a nice compact industry for a model railroad, and could be selectively compressed. I've thought of building a 4-6 foot module of that mine for a source of traffice on our modular club layout.

Greg Elems

Dec 19, 2002
Reno Nevada
Visit site
Hello Jeff,

You might find this cement plant interesting. While I don't have a model of it, or plan on one in HO, it is compact.

Greg Elems

Attachments

• elko nv cement-1.jpg
    elko nv cement-1.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 72