Industrial Rail Trolley

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by Cannonball, Feb 21, 2007.

1. Cannonball

Cannonball More Trains Than Brains

Just won an Industrial Rail trolley on eBay. It's either going to become part of a shelf layout or an outside track. Not sure which yet. I like the iea of an outside layout but with the bumper reverse, this thing just seems built for a shelf. Thought about painting it like Mr. Roger's trolley as well. I know it wouldn't be prototypical to the real trolley but it would be a rather whimsical thing to watch never the less.

Attached Files:

2. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

You should like it, I bought a cool trolley new for my daughter last month. I though what the heck $35 it has to be the cheapest moving train on the layout.
  3. Cannonball

I've bought a few Industrial Rail cars on eBay for dirt cheap and been really happy with those. If the quality of this little trolley matches their rolling stock, it should be a lot of fun.
  4. ozzy

ozzy Active Member

darn you cannonball!!! you know how long i been wanting a trolly!....... i keep looking at the lionel ones but i always talk myself out of them. alot of $$$ for a trolly in lionel.

i never seen yours before tho, i might have to look into them.
  5. Cannonball

Then it probably wouldn't make you feel any better if I told you I snagged it for only $37.01. :(

;) :D
  6. jetrock

jetrock Member

What are the innards like? I pick up Bachmann Brills from time to time for around $10-12, and they look pretty much exactly like that--the motors aren't bad either. There was an article in MR around 15 years ago that described how to make those things into real trolley models, by replacing the plastic poles with Bowser pickup poles, taking out the Lucite light bar (easy to replace with a directional lighting kit) and doing a little elective chassis work to get them to track around 6-8" radius curves. As such, you can effectively do a mini trolley loop on a layout that is only about 14-20" across, plus whatever length of straight track you like, with a city block in the middle.

The Mr. Rogers trolley was an open bench trolley, not an enclosed car like this one.
  7. Cannonball

Not sure yet since it just shipped from teh seller this morning. :D
    Sounds like quite a bit of modifying can be done to them but I don't know if I want to go tearing itno it too much.
    If I decide on the shelf layout, I really won't need any turns since it's a bumer reverse but I may do one loop at the end of an L shelf just to have somplace to put a station for passengers.

I'm aware of that.
    I said it wouldn't be prototypical. ;)
  8. simmonds

simmonds Member

Cannonball, nice looking trolley. Maybe when you get her you could place a little clip on YouTube so we can see her in action. I am going to be getting a trolley too and am still undecided on which one. Chris
  9. jetrock

jetrock Member

The model looks an awful lot like the Bachmann Brill--if that is the case, it is a nice runner out of the box and can easily be upgraded as mentioned above. You really don't have to tear up the innards unless you want to hang overhead wire. The advantage to a loop vs. a back & forth system is that you don't have to ignore the fact that trolleys only operate with one pole in the air at a time (even if you don't want to replace the poles, you can easily modify one pole into the "down" position.)
  10. Renovo PPR

Renovo PPR Just a Farmer

There is one bad rap on this trolley and that is that it doesn’t stand up to the wear and tear of every day use. The trolley has plastic gears that just don’t last very long. From what I have read the biggest problem is using it as a bumper trolley. Many people use a reversing unit. In any event I have read where many people recycle it into a camp or summer home by taking the wheels off and placing it on a foundation.

[FONT=&quot]Mine is a MTH so I don’t know it has some of the same problems. Not everyone has had the above problems but they don’t seem to run them that much either. I wish you good luck and enjoy your trolley.[/FONT]
  11. Cannonball

hhhmmm.... I'll have to check the gears when I get it.
    Perhaps I could find some metal ones to replace them with if they're plastic.
    I haven't worked in machine parts for 7 years for nothing. ;)
  12. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Cannonball, I have heard the same thing as Renovo. If you use it as a bumper reverse it will not have a long life. The sudden stop puts a lot of stress on the gears before the switch reverses the motor. Plus the reverse with operating voltage on also puts stress on the gears. If you operate it on a continuos loop, it will last a lot longer. Have you seen the K-line super streets that Lionel is selling now. That would make a dandy trolley layout.
  13. simmonds

simmonds Member

Thanks for the info on the super street products John. I was planning a trolley on my layout and am now seriously thinking of getting the Motorized SuperStreet trolley set, item number 6-21149. comes with trolley and plenty of track for a 17" X 62" trolley line. Hmmm. We'll have to see.
  14. Cannonball

I'll have to check those out.

Kind of a bummer that the bumper reverse will kill it so quick. I had a cool double track shelf layout all planned in my head. I could still do it but it would require a loop on both ends instead of just one.
  15. Cannonball

Got the trolley today. This really is a fun little unit. I haven't tried the bumper reverse because of the plastic gear warnings but it also has the transformer controlled F/N/R. I got to run it with my daughter for about 15 minutes before I had to leave for work and we had a blast. Then my wife had to chase me out of the house and told me we could play with the trains tomorrow morning. :D

I'll have to clean off the train table and get some pics taken. Maybe a short video as well.
  16. jefelectric

jefelectric Member

Cannonball, There are several devices out there that allow you to reverse a trolley or engine without the abuse of the bumper effect.

Here is one.

http://www.three-rail.com/3RHOMET.HTM

Here is another. Scroll down to page 4 & look for Ram 60.

http://www.ramrcandramtrack.com/page2.html#CONT2

And here is a third.

http://www.depotronics.com/products/micro1/#ee

One of these would allow you to reverse and even pause at the end of the track without ripping out your gears. Check them out. BTW, the last one is expensive.

I have one of the On2-1/2 trolleys that has an electronic reverser with a pause at the end of the track and it works neat. We have it on the mantle snow scene. I have to call it a snow scene and not a Christms scene as it is still up and everytime my wife asks me "when are you going to take that down?" I say when the snow melts outside, Dear, It is a snow scene. That buys me a little more time.
  17. Cannonball

This one actually looks like I might be able to understand it and isn't too outrageously priced. :D I'll have to give it a closer look when I'm not at work. It would be cool if I could put the trolley on a shelf layout like I had planned without damaging it. You would think if they were going to put a bumper reverse unit in, they would have made gears to whithstand the pressure. :confused: I guess stuff like that are the reason Atlas bought them out. ;)

Smart thinking. ;) :D
  18. Cannonball

A quick movie of the trolley on my train table.
    Please ignore the current state of disarray the table is in.
    It will get better when the new track arrives.

In the meantime, here's the trolley.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=j5yGO0-CtZ8
  19. simmonds

simmonds Member

That looks like a nice and smooth running little trolley. The little people on your layout will thank you for giving them a way to get around :) ............IF of course they survived the tornado that appears to have went through your layout :D
  20. Cannonball

You would be amazed at how often tornados blow through there. :D