Indiana Mom Attempts to Outrun Freight Train

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
I have no idea what comes over some people that think they can do things no other human can, and risk the lives of others in the process. We had an 18 year-old girl decide that it was OK to text-message while driving on a two lane road about two weeks ago. That was her last message having hit another car head on she took our another woman as well as herself in the process.

Oh yeah, our legislature decided in the last session that it wasn't worth voting on making it illegal to text-message while driving, yet some 75% of the young drives all say they have done just that. That has to be about as crazy as trying to beat out a freight train.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
rant on: STUPID,just plain stupid!!!!! this was a waste of 2 children's lives.is your destination really so important you have to try and race a train! a train hitting you is like you hitting a pop can! their big and fast and hard to stop, stay out of there way people!! wooh,rant off--josh

EasyE

Mar 24, 2006
I can only imagine what went thru the crews mind when they watched this unfold in slow motion before there eyes. Please dont do this and try to out run my train, I'm bigger than you and I cant stop on a dime. YOU GONNA LOOSE. STOP STOP .....too late 2 dead.

CRed

Dec 10, 2006
Duluth,MN
I have to agree,it's hard to feel sorry for the woman for being so damn stupid!Poor kids,their lives were in the hands of an idiot.I also think the forgotten victims are the engineers,as EasyE mentions,that had to go through something like this because of this woman,could you imagine having to see this happen right in front of you and to find out later that two children were killed?!I have to think they'll need some sort of counseling after this.

myltlpny

Feb 18, 2007
Gloucester, VA
www.homesiteinc.com
I have to agree,it's hard to feel sorry for the woman for being so damn stupid!Poor kids,their lives were in the hands of an idiot.I also think the forgotten victims are the engineers,as EasyE mentions,that had to go through something like this because of this woman,could you imagine having to see this happen right in front of you and to find out later that two children were killed?!I have to think they'll need some sort of counseling after this.
Most of the engineers do need some sort of councileng after an accident. It's a real shame. You know, I get annoyed at getting stopped for a bridge lift (we have a lot of Navy traffic here), but it's just that. An annoyance. Why would you risk your life, and your kids, because of an annoyance? It's just beyond me.:cry:

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
This person's actions are recorded for posterity, they played a clip on last night's news. Fortunately, it was a ways away from a camera that was monitoring the parking lot so most details are not apparent, but you can still see her trying to beat the one train while the other came bearing down. It is heart-wrenching to watch, and I'm sure it'll find its way on Youtube...

viperman

Mar 13, 2006
Carol Stream, IL
This happened fairly close to where I live (I'm about 30mi west of Chicago), and saw it on the news last night. I feel bad for the children in this incident, but I hope that she stays alive in the hospital just long enough to realize what happened before she dies.

On a side note, I have my almost 3 yr old trained very well. I was at IRM with him and my dad this past Mon, and he kept yelling at me to get away from all the trains in the barns so I wouldn't get hurt.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
I was at IRM with him and my dad this past Mon, and he kept yelling at me to get away from all the trains in the barns so I wouldn't get hurt.
I was out there on Sunday, got a chance to check out the decapod. They've got her rear set of drivers out, and need to repair the journals to get her back in service. The Shay needs some repair to the front flue sheet, and then retubing, and hydro.

On the subject of "beating trains": In his infinite wisdom, God created a finite level of common sense. In his infinite ignorance, "Man" has overpopulated that amount.

I'd bet that if the steel bars she was going to "step" between were the frame of the door on the lion's cage, she would have looked to see if the lion was home! Nature will maintain balance, one way or another! :twisted:

UKSteam

Dec 22, 2006
My thoughts go out to everyone involved in this, the innocents especially, the children, the husband, the engineers, the emergency responders who had to clean up this mess. To all of them go my deepest condolences. However like many responders here I feel little or no pity towards the woman who negligent actions brought the pain and suffering on those still living. I hope the children pull through, the husband comes to terms with his wife's actions; what a mixed bag of emotions he must be going through, anger for her stupidity, pain for the loss of the woman he loves, confusion as to why she ran the crossing. The engineers, for as EasyE said it would have all been in slow mo' for them.
Back in the UK I had a friend whose father was a tube driver (subway). He had a jumper in front of one of his services, he couldn't even talk about it to his family, I can only imagine what the combination of 10's of thousands of volts from the third rail and the kinetic impact of the train would do to a human. He never went back to work because of it, he found another job within London Transport.
Sadly this happens often enough to almost warrant 'commonplace' it probably won't make it into the Darwin Awards. But unfortunately it's right up there with some of the saddest.

EasyE

Mar 24, 2006
I found this video from the trainboard forum. Its a train hitting a semi parked on a crossing and the sound of metal to metal is something i dont ever want to hear. The stupidity continues.

YouTube - Train vs Semi!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Five seconds into the video, the impact occurs. 15 seconds into the video, a sheriffs vehicle slowly moves it's way up the shoulder. True there is a lot of traffic but had I have been that sheriff, I would have either left my truck and started sprinting towards the semi or driven my truck off the side of the road with siren on and lights flashing to reach the scene as fast as possible. One minute and 5 seconds into the video, the sheriff finally exits his vehicle and casually starts walking towards the accident. :cry:
Isn't United a moving company? Does that mean that that is some families (or multiple families) belongings now strewn all over the place and several hundered feet down the tracks?

UKSteam

Dec 22, 2006
Well spotted TrainNut I noticed the Sheriff moving rather slowly as well, the other thing I noticed was the 'lack' of a driver of the semi ! Maybe I missed him or the video did not capture him , but at no point did I see a bystander whom may have been the guy whose tail end got caught in that predicament. Maybe the angle of the video did not show him running like crazy, I looked but could not see im in shot in the cab when the vehicle passed the accident.