inclines for O gauge locos

Discussion in 'G / O / S Scale Model Trains' started by fooldancing, Sep 24, 2005.

1. fooldancing

fooldancing New Member

I am building my son an O guage layout around the perimiter of his room. I need to know how I go about figuring the degree of the inclines and the rate of incline, so I will know if they will workout or not. If I need to go to plan B than thats not a problem, but it is plan B.
    Thank you in advance,
    Matt
  2. jetrock

jetrock Member

Measure the horizontal length traveled and the vertifcal rise desired. Divide the rise by the length and you wil have the angle of incline: 1 inch change in elevation in 100 inches is 1/100=.01=1% incline. 2 inch change is 2% incline, etcetera. Normally you don't want to go over 2% or 3% inclines unless the trains will be very short.
  3. Roger B.

Roger B. Member

An old rule of thumb with O-27 track was 1/4" per length, or round it off to 1/4" per foot.
  4. 60103

60103 Pooh Bah

For those who didn't take trigonometry in school (too busy with Latin and Greek) the percent of a grade is not the same as the degrees in the angle. (Had a friend who tried to do it with a level and a protractor.)
    The 1/4" per foot is 1 in 48 and close enough to 2%. 2% is a reasonable model railroad grade, but often a maximum. 4% is possible but should be tried out first. Steeper grades will shorten your trains.