inclines and foam

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
Has anyone ever use foam on top of the plywood as a base if so were could I find it?
I was looking for inclines and only found 2%, 3% and 4% I was looking for 1%. I don't think that they make it in 1%. I was wondering if there was any way to make a 1% incline like the woodland scenics or to use the 2% and 3% to make a 1% incline.

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
You can use almost any type of foam, but I'd suggest that you stay away from upholstery foam. :D

If you have a table say available, (or know somebody who does), you can simply rip some extruded polystyrene (aka Styrofoam, trademark Dow Chemicals) at a 1% angle. Rip an 8' long strip, starts out maybe 1" wide, down to nothin. Then cross cut the pieces into whatever length you want, and voila, 1" grade.

Simple work, but EXACTING.

SAL Comet

May 13, 2004
N.W. Georgia
Ha 72, At just 1% grade, I'd use the plywood to set the grade, and keep the foam at the same thickness. As far as where to get it, any home center(homedepot/lowes etc) should have 4x8 foam board up too 2" stuff in your part of the country.

trains1972

Sep 1, 2004
philadelphia, pa
pg.photos.yahoo.com
I was thinking about using this stuff but 2% is the smallest grade that they make.
LG20010639.jpg

Thanks I was looking for the foam at craft and hobby stores if worst comes I try the table saw idea. I was trying to advoid useing wood for weight reasons. I wanted a light weight layout that can be moved easily in sections. The grade is going to be 1% grade under 107.3 feet of track. Here is the design I only have one main line in the design but it will have a double main line.
LAYOUTDESIGN.jpg

This is how the layout will be cut into section.
layoutcutouts.jpg

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
You could try making your own. Make a former with floor and sides; the sides should be at a 1% grade relative to the floor and the thing should be long enough to carve a 1% grade to the half height of your foam e.g. if it's 1/2" foam, the box should be 25" long. The top of the sides must be very smooth and absolutely straight.
Cut a piece of foam to fit in the box. for HO I'd make it 3" wide. Take your hot wire scenery forming tool and run it along the top of the sides and split the foam. You now have two pieces for the start and end of a 1% grade. Repeat for the next section, but add an extra layer of foam to start them at the 1/2".

Bikerdad

Oct 17, 2003
Southwestern US
Visit site
Depending on where you are, the Borg may have a limited selection of foam. If you can, avoid getting the "beer cooler" foam, i.e., expanded polystryrene. You want extruded polystyrene. It is more expensive, but does not shed "beads" of foam.