In search of a B-26...

Discussion in 'Aircraft & Aviation' started by bugman72, Jan 19, 2007.

1. David H

David H Member

From Memory the Martin B26 was nick-named the "Widow Maker". A name in part derived from its high landing speeds, cutting edge systems such as its "difficult" engine management systems and "modern design".

So did the A26 Invader have any nifty nick-names? And Why?

D
  2. David H

David H Member

From Memory the Martin B26 was nick-named the "Widow Maker". A name in part derived from its high landing speeds, cutting edge systems such as its "difficult" engine management systems and "modern design".

So did the A26 Invader have any nifty nick-names? And Why?

D
  3. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I thought it was the Douglas A-26/B-26 Invader that had the nickname of Widow Maker. My co-worker was telling me about that dubious nickname when he was retelling stories that his dad told him about his missions.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of this plane's release. It would be wonderful if the Blackbird paint scheme made it as a final paint scheme for the model.
  4. bugman72

bugman72 Member

I thought it was the Douglas A-26/B-26 Invader that had the nickname of Widow Maker. My co-worker was telling me about that dubious nickname when he was retelling stories that his dad told him about his missions.

I'm looking forward to the possibility of this plane's release. It would be wonderful if the Blackbird paint scheme made it as a final paint scheme for the model.
  5. bugman72

bugman72 Member

6. bugman72

bugman72 Member

7. bugman72

bugman72 Member

8. bugman72

bugman72 Member

9. bugman72

bugman72 Member

10. bugman72

bugman72 Member

11. bugman72

bugman72 Member

12. bugman72

bugman72 Member

13. bugman72

bugman72 Member

14. bugman72

bugman72 Member

15. bugman72

bugman72 Member

16. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

If Rob gets it done........... I'll do a re-color for it............ promise!

The Martin B-26 was called that and also called something else. Because the wings were a new type and very small it was called the "pregnant prostitue" because of the big fuselage and small wings that had "no visible means of support".

Never heard of a nickname for the Douglas bird..........but having served in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam...........as well as in the Bay of Pigs fiasco(were it fougt against Cuban B-26 Invaders!) it record shows that it was a very well designed much needed aircraft!

Ed Heinemann sure new what he was doing!
  17. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

The Martin B-26 was called that and also called something else. Because the wings were a new type and very small it was called the "pregnant prostitue" because of the big fuselage and small wings that had "no visible means of support".

Never heard of a nickname for the Douglas bird..........but having served in WWII, Korea and Viet Nam...........as well as in the Bay of Pigs fiasco(were it fougt against Cuban B-26 Invaders!) it record shows that it was a very well designed much needed aircraft!

18. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

19. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

20. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member