In Flanders Fields (off topic) 11/11/2006

interurban

In Flanders Fields
By: Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae, MD (1872-1918)
Canadian Army
IN FLANDERS FIELDS the poppies blow
Between the crosses row on row,
That mark our place; and in the sky
The larks, still bravely singing, fly
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow,
Loved and were loved, and now we lie
In Flanders fields.

Take up our quarrel with the foe:
To you from failing hands we throw
The torch; be yours to hold it high.
If ye break faith with us who die
We shall not sleep, though poppies grow
In Flanders fields.

papasmurf37

SINCERE THANKS for your post today! Youngest son, in NG, just returned from Iraq, SAFE[THANK YOU LORD!] and an older son in Regular Army may deploy any time. Am also vet, so PROUDLY SALUTE all our Sons and Daughters who have worn and wear our Country's Uniform!

spitfire

Thank-you Chris. I watched the Canadian Remembrance Day ceremonies on CBC this morning and with tears in my eyes I thought of that poem. My father was a veteran of WWII and since he passed away this day has become even more meaningful to me.

Val

interurban

Yes I did too Val.
When I read that poem , I am always in tears.

God Bless our frontline men and women Every where.
And all our support groups.

Herc Driver

I added medals to my dress blues for my time spent in Iraq yesterday…
My boys asked about them and what they meant…
I quietly thought how strange…

They do not equally balance the anxiety and fear I felt, flying low, searching out those that would shoot me down while I tried to complete my mission.

They do not capture the emptiness my heart felt each day I was deployed.

They cannot replace the time spent away from my wife and children.

For there are no ribbons or medals for those things.

They are but a roadmap of where this veteran’s career has taken him.

Or just maybe a token of thanks from his country.

Because for those of us who know the meaning of each ribbon,

We understand what it really took to earn it.

Appreciate the true sacrifice.

And can soberly reflect on the military operation it stands for.

As others admire all the ribbon colors, I think the veteran simply wants to know that his effort was not in vain.

His loyalty was not wasted or misplaced.

That the special trust his fellow countrymen granted him is still there.

To know that all the sacrifice that he and his family made to provide the unbroken line of freedom this country has enjoyed is still appreciated.

Because we take an oath to fight for you, bleed for you, and if need be, die for you. That your life may enjoy the sameness of everyday.

Then in thanks for a time spent in the service of others - from the people through their government - we might be offered a ribbon of thanks…but more importantly...

...that they would remember us.

interurban

HERC
From the bottom of this heart of mine I thankyou,
But that seems so small an acknowledgement.

Know this,, I will not forget.

As all families have been stung by conflict old and new,

jeffrey-wimberl

I am a disabled veteran in Louisiana. I want to thank the people who went before me, those who were in at the same time I was and those who have been in since.

I salute you for you valiant efforts to keep out country free and to check the spread of tyranny. Keep up the good fight.

Jeffrey Wimberly, now a civilian.
Last unit, Co A, 105th S & t Bn, 5th infantry Division (Mech), Ft Polk, Louisiana.

kirkendale

Lest we not forget,,, remember to KEEP wearing your poppy for a few more days, too many people are proud to wear it before the 11th, then on the 12th off it comes and out it goes....

Jim Krause said:
Many thanks to all of you vets of all wars, on both sides of the border. I personally appreciate your sacrifices.

You're heartily welcome! Freedom from fear, and tyranny comes with a very high price, but knowing that people like you really understand, and appreciate, what vets like myself, and all of the other brave men, and women everywhere have done, and continue to do, to keep us all free, make our sacrifices all the more worthwhile, and confirms for us that our fallen comrades did not die in vain, and so I thank you, my friend.

Play-Doh

Thank you vets.. we owe mroe to you than we ever could say. Being a funeral director near a national cemetary, ive helped bury many veterans, and therefore I apprecieate them more than anything. Your sacrafices and dedication have not gone un noticed.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
I memorized that poem in the sixth grade for an assembly we had.
Having payed a visit to the real Flanders Field when stationed overseas, it meant more to me then.
Here's to my brothers in arms...No mater where you call home.

Herc Driver

I salute all the vets on this board. Each answered their country's call to arms. Each bravely followed orders. Each deserves our admiration.

May I offer a personal story...

When I came home, I got off my military plane and moments later boarded a civilian airliner taking me to reunite with my family. Without any time to change I still wore my desert brown flight suit. I was struck by how many people took time to say "Thank you" and wish me well. But I was not prepared for what happened after we all boarded the plane.

With everyone boarded, I stowed my bag and settled into my coach seat. Just then I was approached by the flight attendant who softly said the entire crew would like me to move to first class. At first I politely refused - but she was insistant. As I rose, the entire plane began applauding. I fought hard to hide my tears of gratitude as I walked from the back of the plane to my new seat in the front. It was the most touching thing I had ever experienced in all my years of military service. I was then and am still today deeply moved by that experience.

As our flight landed, I remembered that my bag was still in the back of the plane's overhead bin, so I waited patiently for everyone to disembark. People said their good-byes and still thanked me for my service. Then a small grandmotherly lady came into view toting my bag. She had brought it forward for me just so she could personally offer her thanks. I was unable to speak but the tears welled up again.

I ended up being the last person off the plane and turning the corner off the jetway found my wife standing in front of a small circle of passengers who tarried just long enough to see us embrace after months apart. Everyone smiled as we all went our ways. I wished every vet could have a moment like this when they returned home.