Important new development?

Pooh Bah
Nobody here has commented on this yet, so I'll start.
Hornby has announced a live steam train set in HO gauge (OO scale).
From what I've seen and read, there is an electric boiler in the tender and working valve gear on the loco. Also a working whistle.
The reports give a run time on one filling of 20 to 40 minutes.
The loco works on a 12V DC track voltage. There is some sort of command control to regulate speed and direction.
The first loco offered is Mallard (LNER class A4 -- world's fastest steam loco) and a few others will be offered including Dwight D. Eisenhauer.
The system is not compatible with anything else in the world -- neither DC nor DCC.
A set is reported to be 500 pounds (around $750 US or over $1000 Cdn.) It must contain Loco and controller, but track? cars?

So this is the first properly controllable live steam loco in HO gauge.

(For the LNER fans: it looks like a 2 cylinder version; no sign of conjugated valve gear for the 3rd cylinder.)

Vic

Quote From The Website

Although I have no interest in British steam power this is an interesting concept.

Here's a quote from the Hornby website as to what the set comes with.

"The Mallard box set will be available in late December (although we can't guarantee a pre-Christmas delivery), priced below £500.00. Each set comes complete with everything you need to operate and maintain these exquisite models, from the control box to steam oil and protective gloves. Also included is an instruction manual, ‘OO’ gauge track, steam locomotive, transformer, water syringe, oil syringe, steam oil and maintenance tools."

Pooh Bah
Warning

I saw a post recently that there was a set on eBay that had reached PD495.95. (About list price)
I would like to warn any gaugers of two facts.
This is certainly the UK version of the set and will contain a 240 volt, 50 hertz version of the controller. It will NOT be compatible with North American Electricity.
Our LHS (in Streetsville) is taking advance orders for the North American version at C$999 (IIRC), and says that production will only meet the orders. This price is a fair chunk lower than PD500. (Check the financial pages in your newpaper.)

shamus

Registered Member
It is in fact 00 scale and not H0 scale. I have seen one run at out Exhibition not long ago, it it looks great.
Shamus

CN1

I have no interest in British steam either. What would be nice is a "big Boy" or "Mikado":D

spitfire

I saw an ad for that loco in a magazine somewhere and was very intrigued. What a cool idea!!!!
The only downside (besides the price!!) would be possible condensation on tracks, scenery and backdrops from the steam. I wonder if this is a factor, or if the amount of water vapour is negligible.
Anyway, I think it's a fantastic idea, and if it catches on the price is sure to come down.

Val

Originally posted by shamus
It is in fact 00 scale and not H0 scale. I have seen one run at out Exhibition not long ago, it it looks great.
Shamus

I know the existance of a live steam tram loco in HO(!!!)
(Check the website below)