IMPORTANT Keep the public domain free from licensing restraints!

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by rwguess, Jul 26, 2006.

1. rwguess

rwguess Member

Passage of this Bill will

"prohibit defense contractors from requiring licenses of fees for use of military likenesses or designation."

It will specifically provide exemptions for U.S.-based hobby and toy companies involved in the development, marketing, and sale of assembled or unassembled replicas of U.S. military hardware.

THIS IS A GOOD THING!

PLEASE HELP IT PASS

Hopefully every one here will be in agreement with this, i sure am
    please every single member take action on this cause and the terrible impact it will have on the modeling hobby we all love... :mad:

hermit

http://www.revell.com/News_Viewer.news1 M52af45614a7.0.html

News Flash, This bill has passed at the House of Representatives. Now we need your help at the Senate!

Hobby manufacturers, wholesale and retail distributors, and consumers alike, this is a CALL FOR ACTION! Contact your local Senator without delay to urge them to support House Bill 4806, Military Toy Replica Act. Passage of this Bill will "prohibit defense contractors from requiring licenses of fees for use of military likenesses or designation." It will specifically provide exemptions for U.S.-based hobby and toy companies involved in the development, marketing, and sale of assembled or unassembled replicas of U.S. military hardware. Contact your reps at the websites listed below.
    For more than fifty years, military aircraft, ships, and vehicle design and designations have been in the public domain and free from licensing restraints as the actual subjects were contracted and fully funded by the U.S. Government on behalf of the U.S. citizenry. Recently, major U.S. Defense contractors or their designated licensing agents have begun programs to appropriate these federally-assigned type designations (i.e. P-51, P-38, B-17, B-52), associated names (i.e. "Mustang", "Lightning", "Flying Fortress", "Stratofortress"), and likenesses into intellectual property for corporate gain through royalty income from readily-recognized names and likenesses.
    FAILURE to pass H. B. 4806 will have the following negative effects:
    1.) Increase product costs at all levels of distribution
    2.) Reduce access to a wide variety of available product as low-volume subjects will be deleted or eliminated as they will no longer be financially viable.
    3.) Significantly increase new product development cycles and costs due to the unwarranted burden of new licensing requirements.
    Protect your access to your national military heritage!! Protect your access to scale replicas of military aircraft, vessels, and vehicles that have been funded by the U.S. Government with taypayer dollars.

Contact your elected Congressional Representative without delay and urge them to pass House Bill 4806!!!

Do your part to stop this unwarranted misappropraition of our nation's military history!!
  2. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Did my part.
  3. rwguess

rwguess Member

nearly 70 people have read this post it is sad that only one person has decided to respond to it

thank you Mr. Krol for supporting the model hobby

hermit
  4. Bowdenja

Bowdenja Active Member

Contacted mine too!
  5. Stev0

Stev0 Active Member

I seriously doubt it would pass anyway. The amount of time and effort it would take to patrol the world over licence issues is something the government just doesnt have time for these days. The existing legitimate hobby would be reduced to no more than the legality of pot growing.

It's just some BS legislation to put into effect in order to tack something else onto.
  6. rickstef

rickstef Guest

it did pass in our House, and it will pass in the Senate.

but I already paid for that F-16, M-247, or Tomahawk, i don't want to pay for it again.

Rick
  7. rwguess

rwguess Member

guys read it again we want it to pass in both houses

FAILURE to pass H. B. 4806 will allow companies like lockhead to copyright the name of a fighter and make a model company pay for the license
    unlike now when it is still currently in the public domain

this bill is to protect the rights of hobby people everywere
  8. rwguess

rwguess Member

Passage of this Bill will

"prohibit defense contractors from requiring licenses of fees for use of military likenesses or designation."

It will specifically provide exemptions for U.S.-based hobby and toy companies involved in the development, marketing, and sale of assembled or unassembled replicas of U.S. military hardware.

THIS IS A GOOD THING!

PLEASE HELP IT PASS
  9. Texman

Texman Guest

RW,

Just because X number of people read the post, and only Y number posted
    a response does not mean others are not acting on it. Think about what you say.

Ray
  10. Gil

Gil Active Member

On the Other Hand...,

How many model companies are based in the U.S.? Where are the major plastic model producers located and where are their models actually manufactured? This is a tempest in a teapot and not worth a damn as far as legislation goes. Why not focus on real issues that need good legislation that should have been in force twenty years ago..., Oh boy! A hobby issue to climb onto, whoopee am I totally thrilled or what..., Wonder what the rider bill says..., -Gil

P.S. Go ahead. Give me your best shot...,
  11. rwguess

rwguess Member

wow... your responses appear very mean to me and made me feel very small
    i hope you enjoyed that
    i no longer feel welcomed here
    and will remove my self from the forum in protest

goodbye
  12. Gil

Gil Active Member

Ok, Just Quit! Go Away and Never Bother Us Again!

rwguess,

I don't think anyone meant to be mean to you personally and weren't directing slams at you, but toward the subject matter. For my part I have a fairly cynical view of governments in general and the motives of those who seek intervention by governments in their own behalf. Nothing is simple and so motives for legislation are intertwined with self dealing and cronyism far beyond the public good. Best show on Earth is the sentencing of a corrupt congressman. So don't feel small and don't feel that you've been rejected by the group. We do appreciate your bringing it to everyone's attention and the attempt to rally the group to action. Alas, the ugly truth manifests it's awful presence giving pause for thought and examination of the issues merits and in the final analysis are found to be not so pressing as are other current issues. -Gil
  13. rickstef

rickstef Guest

[Admin Voice]

Ok people, one thing I always liked about this site is that no one would feel that their voice was not important.
    And that varying thoughts, and ideas were accepted and welcomed.

And the responses used to be civil, but now some of them have become quite troublesome to me.

I hope that everyone follows the Golden and Platinum Rules.

Golden Rule: Be treated by others, like you would want to be treated.
    Platinum Rule: Treat others the way they would want to be treated.

So please keep this in mind, otherwise I will have to reconsider my participation on this site.

[/Admin Voice]

Rick
  14. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

This is to be expected whenever anything political gets brought up anywhere. Please don't take it personally because I assure you it is not....

my 2 cents.

It IS being considered in legislation regardless of what anyone feels the merits are. Even if its not enforced properly its passing alone will help the hobby (I think - I don't claim to have full knowledge of the bill)

Since we know it is being considered then why not help it along? saying its worthless or not going to make any difference anyway is not going to make it go away. having it pass certainly will not hurt the hobby.....
    Chris
  15. rickstef

rickstef Guest

All,

I would like to apologize for my last post, but keep in mind why I said what I said.

To me, this is one of the few issues that I want my voice to be heard, and I think this what our founding fathers had in mind as for us to be involved with.

I will be sending email to both my state senators, almost bumped into one in my office and dropped him on his butt.

No matter what your view is on politics, I feel that opinions, feelings, ideas should be respected, and there is no need for remarks that will hurt feelings.

Rick
  16. airbob

airbob Member

Support HB....

Some weeks ago, I did send in a request to my congressman to support this bill...last I heard it passes...is this correct or not?:cry:
  17. cgutzmer

cgutzmer Guest

Yes,it passed the house (step 1) but has not yet been voted on by the senate (step 2) - george will probably just veto it anyway (step 3) ;) heh heh
  18. airbob

airbob Member

HB passed...now Senate Vote?

Bill Frist is my senatory (ouch!:oops: ) I need to put a "bug into his ear" on support of this bill then!!!:p
  19. nebeltex

nebeltex Member

G,
    i can't answer how many there are. at least one. me. i completely understand your frustration with "guv'ment". i share some of those same frustrations. it is not a perfect "state" but much better than most. if you think it should change, get involved. i don't get involved in all the issues of the day, just the ones which effect me the most. this one does.
  20. shoki2000

shoki2000 Active Member

Problem is that even if the company is based abroad but it wants to sell in the US, it will fell under the hammer if the bill doesn't pass...