IMAM RO-1..solid wood + Card

gera

Hi guys:

Here is a pic of a 1:48 scale Italian Imam Romeo RO-1. All parts are dry fitted at the moment. Look at the machine gun carrier and the spoke wheels are card, the tire is an "O" ring.. :D .....The fuselage and landing gear are wood and the engine is made of Epoxi, made from a plastic engine mold in Playdo :lol: :lol:........card and wood seem to love each other!!!! :) :)

gera

bowdenja said:
Looks good Gera!

Is that paint or aluminum on the cowling?

john

Hi John:

Thanks.It´s paint over cardboard. Saw your P-51, it looks great, good job!!!!

Bowdenja

Thanks Gera!

Your threads on wooden planes made me pull out oneI started a long time ago. I got frustated and shelved it...........but you just might make me take it out and give it another go.

It started out as a balsa kit of the Japanese Rufe. Didn't want to put tissue on it so I just started covering it with balsa sheets.

Hope you like my attempt.

Now that I know you can mix wood and paper and not cause a big explosion, it just might get resurected! :D

Keep up the good work!

john

gera

Hey John:

Beautifull Rufe (a Guillow?)......You know wood better than me, a good sanding with 250, 500, 800 , and a finish with a 1500 sandpaper and the wood shines!!!!....keep at it, you will have a winner.
With stick and tissue I did that, usually covered the model with 1/32 sheeting(folder card) and varnish. I don't use dope just a mixture of turpentine and varnish, two coats and it usually is enough to seal the card and the wood.
If you want some pretty plans let me know I have a collection of many Cleveland Model & Supply Co. of the 1930's!!!!!...I have many with "Printed Wood"!!!!!!!...really old stuff, but incredibly accurate plans.
Boy we sure have fun with our models!!!!!

See You.

P.S. Many years ago I did the last P-26 of the Guatemalan Air Force(Cleveland Model & Supplay SF-22.)
The real plane was sold to the Smithsonian at its the one at the Air Museum In Washington D.C.