I'm tired, need a vacation.

goodduck

I intended to sell models I created with Rhino. Even if I don’t, for my own personal peace, I runs programs licensed only to me in my computer. I try not to give anyone reason to point finger at me, at work or at hobby.

Thanks for the video.

goodduck

The stand is finally rough out. I try to make the stands looks mechanical, like some great big arms in the dry dock/hangar that hold up the ship. At the same time, I don’t want to get too busy because as you see, I putting some decal on the base floor. I still not sure what design I’m going to paint there yet. What you see there is just a plate holder. Thank you for looking. Feedback welcome.

Attachments

• 104.jpg
    104.jpg
    299 KB · Views: 32
  • 105.jpg
    105.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 31
  • 106.jpg
    106.jpg
    310.6 KB · Views: 32
  • 107.jpg
    107.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 31
  • 108.jpg
    108.jpg
    201.3 KB · Views: 33
  • 109.jpg
    109.jpg
    217.9 KB · Views: 29
  • 110.jpg
    110.jpg
    237.3 KB · Views: 73
  • 111.jpg
    111.jpg
    264.9 KB · Views: 36
  • 112.jpg
    112.jpg
    233.9 KB · Views: 96
  • 113.jpg
    113.jpg
    235.2 KB · Views: 29

Rhaven Blaack

!!!THE MAN BEHIND THE CURTAIN!!!
Staff member
Administrator
I REALLY LIKE the stand!!!
I think that it will compliment the ship as a whole.
As for the colour of the stand, If I may suggest a dark metallic grey (like hematite).

zathros

*****SENIOR ADMINISTRATOR*****
Staff member
Administrator
I hope you don't mind if I put this here Allen but I am sure you would understand. The first picture shows the original Titanfall Mesh you gave me. The lines on the right are all the double, superfluous, junk left in the model. These lines cause many problems when trying to convert a mesh to a paper model. The "Extracted Wireframe" on the left is what is left over that can be worked with. These are not lines, in the sense that for "Rhino 3D" to see them, they must be duplicated from images into "Curves", a straight "line" is really a "curve" in Rhino. There is no such thing as a straight line, only curves, as the "Perspective" of the line could reveal an "S" shape if rotated, you never know. The picture on the bottom shows the original "Rendered" Titanfall hand, and the parts i have converted into "Developable" (for the most part) surfaces, or paper model parts. On this model, the Fingers are the same, the thumb is different. The first digit of the finger to the left of the hand are the Rhino3D models I was able to make. Since they are the same, once you make one, the next two take 2 seconds to make. The first set of digits, and the two round pieces on top took two hours to convert. They are the same length, just a different angle.

All in all, that is around 3 hours of work, working at a leisurely, not pull your hair out, watching T.V. too, rate, and I forgot to do the bolts! Another 20 minutes! This model would require massive effort to convert into a paper model, and just as much to build. There would be compromises, unless other mediums were used for the compound curves, which paper cannot do. Just some "fun facts". :)

p.s. Allen, I know you know all this, I just wanted people to try and understand the level of expertise that you work at. I frankly am astounded at what you do, let alone what you do professionally, which members know or don't, it's not my place to say. I look at what you posted in this thread, and just plain amazed. :)

TatA.jpg

TatB.jpg

goodduck

I am humbling by your kind words. I hardly have any completed models to show for. In the world of paper modeling I am a n00b ( actually to be honest, in many other things I do, too).

When I first saw that titian, I’m like: yeah, thanks but not thanks. You are much better man that I ever will be for actually did something with it. So, you going to do the whole thing? My hat off to you.

I starting to unfold the stands last night and feeling good looking at the Yamato - ho noooooooo! I still have to make glue tabs!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Allen, your humility is gratifying, but you're not fooling anybody! Your hot stuff buddy! :)

I might do it part by part, I don't know. I have a lot going on now. Maybe I'll just make a big arm? Many people think that once you have a mesh, you just press some magic button. It's really tracing each part, 3 dimensionally. Very difficult. This model has many repetitive parts, which cuts down on labor, so it might be worthwhile turning into a paper model, but I'd never build it. :)

goodduck

So I went back and added some support for the stands, otherwise it could be a little unstable. I also took out the edge framing to simplify the base. I thinking even with the frame around the edge the base still won’t lay flat. So, it just has glue to some kind of solid surface like a piece of thick Plexiglas or wood plaque. Got the stand unfolded too and that's everything so I’m pretty happy. I still need to add glue tabs. I really don’t look forward to those parts. It almost like building the whole ship from bottom up all over again, for the 20th x. Oh no…. I just noticed something I missed on the frame I need to fit………….. X(

Attachments

• 114.jpg
    114.jpg
    361.8 KB · Views: 25
  • 115.jpg
    115.jpg
    316.3 KB · Views: 28
  • 116.jpg
    116.jpg
    381.7 KB · Views: 25
  • 117.jpg
    117.jpg
    527.5 KB · Views: 37

goodduck

I finally got around finishing texturing and regrouping the base templates. I am planning to glue that to a acrylic base if I can get one cut at some trophies shop around town or a wood plaque is my 2nd choice. I also took some time to reworking the arms a bit too to add internal supports. Looking at the ship templates I have to say I am really not looking forward to do the glue tabs. I really don’t like that part of the process, but have to be done, and then the numbering, too. :C Think I’ll do the tabs after I built a plastic Gundam kit, or two. :D

Attachments

• stand_01.jpg
    stand_01.jpg
    1.8 MB · Views: 28
  • stand_02.jpg
    stand_02.jpg
    1.6 MB · Views: 55

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
The artwork and texture for the base looks FANTASTIC!!!
It will be a GREAT finish to the model and a fitting way to display it!

goodduck

So, I broke up the build into three parts. Stand, which already done texturing. Hull, which I just finished texturing and Superstructure & Parts, which I am about to start… whenever... :D By breaking up the build to three sections I hoping to fool my brain that the parts count is not really all that overwhelming and I think it is working. I have deceived myself :D Because I am actually doing unfolding and texturing and not just letting it sit in the hard drive and forgotten.

I did some more regrouping to few sections to reduce the parts counts while texturing the hull, hope that will make the build a little bit easier - one or maybe two less cuts :D So, I’m going to have two versions, Clean and Weathered. The images posted are the Weathered. When finally come time to test build, I’ll build the weathered version. I like my ship to have some age to it. Like it was in service for some time in space with radiation burn, sees some combats and now came back home to dry dock for refitting and such. Right now I’m somewhat worry about the AAA guns barrels. They are very small, almost too small to roll up. So I make two versions to see which one would roll up better. If not, I guess I will have to go with flat card barrels and I would really hate that very much. I know some people use tooth picks for gun barrels, I really don’t like it at all. I am a bit stubborn in that department. Ok, think I’m done rambling.

Attachments

• 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 21
  • 04.jpg
    04.jpg
    1.2 MB · Views: 26
  • 05.jpg
    05.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 20
  • 06.jpg
    06.jpg
    1.1 MB · Views: 23

Rhaven Blaack

Staff member
Administrator
I fully understand what you mean by tackling this project in small chunks. An old mentor once told me an old proverb; "How do you eat a whale"? "Simple, One bite at a time". He followed it up with; "It does not matter how big or how small the bites are, what matters is how you handle those bites".
This has stuck with me for all of these years and I apply it to every project that I work on (regardless of the size or complexity).

Do are doing an ABSOLUTELY SPECTACULAR JOB on this model!!!
Looking at the texture of the parts that you have posted thus far, this model is going to be a DEFINITE show piece and the perfect tribute to this GREAT SHIP!!!

THANK YOU for taking on this project!!!

KEEP UP THE MAGNIFICENT WORK!!!

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
GoodDuck is operating at a level with all hope to reach, though we may run out of years!!

@goodduck, your movie is coming out soon, getting excited?

goodduck

Thanks guys, you all are too kind. I am not doing anything anyone can’t do.

Yeah, the movie Book of Life is out. I saw it in company screening two weeks ago, looking really good. Very colorful, it was different for sure. If you going to stay for the credits at the end, my name is under Art Dept. – Designers. My last name put me on the bottom, shouldn’t be too hard to find. Please go see it again and again, and again, and buy toys and stuff. Thank you! Thank you!

So, I order a 1” thick acrylic base to mount the stand. It was so nice :) <3 the edge is so shape I could cut tomato with it. It weights a ton too! Okay, not really a ton, but it was really heavy for this piece of plastic. I originally was planning to add fighter profiles to the base too. But then I decide it would get way too busy so I omitted the idea but I forgot to give the cutter the new measurement. So, now the length is perfect, but the height is 1” to width with too much empty space on top and bottom. I thought that is ok, don’t look too bad at all. I thinking when I do the Musashi version I’ll be sure to get the base measurement correct. But then, I chipped two corners! It just great! Now I just set the tone of the build, it going to be all messed up!

Attachments

• DSC_0370.JPG
    DSC_0370.JPG
    4.5 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0371.JPG
    DSC_0371.JPG
    3.5 MB · Views: 28
  • DSC_0372.JPG
    DSC_0372.JPG
    4 MB · Views: 27

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Excellent work Allen. What program are you using for you texturing, just curious? :)

zathros

Staff member
Administrator
Thanks! I have CS3 and CS5, I have to figure this out, it's just time, which seems to be getting harder to find these days. :)