im stuck on my layout

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Wow. You've come a long ways. In your original plan, you had a water feature and I miss that in this plan. Just remember that if you do add one in, don't dead end it into a scenic backdrop as you want it to disappear at an angle for perspective purposes. Good planning. Can't wait to see this take shape.
Also, I am very impressed with the amount of help and comments you have gotten in such a short time. Sometimes it seems like I'm pulling teeth to get comments like the ones you have received.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
thanks for the complement,as for the water feature im trying to figure out a way to do it on this layout but i havent gotten anything yet but its still possible.and for the responses,i guess im just that popular!LOL

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
For the water you can use clear drying resin. But you'll need to do a few layers- in a well ventelated area. Paint the middle matt black and then feather blue from dark blue to light blue to the waters edge to represent depth, during the different layers you can throw in scraps etc, like a rusted old car (auto??) body near the waters edge or something, sorry for the pun but we will cross that bridge when we get to your scenery. In the mean time if you can imagine a space for it then cut out the river bed from the benchwork- thats how I do ALL my projects in this order:

1) Get an idea
2) Envision it in my mind
3) Draw a plan
4) Get all the credit and critisism for it
5) Think about it another two times
6) Start building

You are definately on the right track- PUN INTENDED.

I hope when the time comes you will also give constructive critisism and lend your ideas and questions when I start posting my layout on this Forum.

I believe that every hobbiest can lend something to the group, whether it's layout planning, electronics, painting ideas, etc, we all have something to contribute.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
newyard.bmp
OK guys,i have a problem.i laid the track out for the yard to test it and well...it sucks.i cant figure out a way to fit a decent yard with 5 storage tracks and 2 tracks for switching the mill.as you can see i made revisions and modifed the other half to make it look more backwoods and curvy since track goes with the land not the other way around.but the yard should have 5 storage,2 switching to connect to the mill which can be flipped around,and a lead to fit 48in of cars and an engine.thanks for any help guys this just ha sme stumped.--josh

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
Hi bigsteel,

Here's another idea (Assuming you are refering to the bottom right): you can make a temporary extension (sort of like a module) for your yard, thus your layout won't technically be going into the forbidden space. When you are finished operating just disconnect all wire extensions and the "module" and store it in the open space in the middle.

"How am I gonna get it over my layout??", I hear you ask, simple. When building the module make the legs foldable or that they can be extended up or down. Unless of course that bridge section is removable, then the module must only be a little smaller than that width and can be pushed through.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey madhatter good to see you,and i took your idea and came up with this more useable yard.and i just flipped the buildings to the other side since my blast furnace will be my centerpeice.the module would be hooked up to the lead by the blast furnace.
--josh
newyard_227543.bmp

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
bigsteel,

Glad to be of service!! What I like about this plan is that there will be lots of shunting and yet you can have a nice run for your trains to stretch their legs.

Keep well,

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
Glad to be of service!! What I like about this plan is that there will be lots of shunting and yet you can have a nice run for your trains to stretch their legs

thats what i was going for in this layout.and thanks for the complements and all your help, i beleive its pretty much ready to be built.but im no sure if i want to put coke ovens or a power house where the two tracks on the right side of the yard are.--josh

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
The more you can have on the layout the better. Remember that even though you are building the layout for yourself, sometime or other kids are going to see it and they only look at the train once then they are bored.

So, I would say that if you can make a different scene every 30cm then you can give them (and other people by the way) something to look at on the layout, maybe you can even incorperate little gizmo's.

A friend of mine has a village scene where two men are seated at a table, you press a button in a well and they start drinking beer! Another friend has a fire scene where there are firemen putting out a fire and- from a hidden place on the facia- when a person admires the scene they get squirted with water- that is controlled by whoever is operating the yard. Of course these are just examples which we can worry about once you've gotten past the main part such as laying track.

Having said that, if you can fit in the coke ovens and such, put them in (so long they don't mess up your operations)- the less bare your layout is the better.

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
C'mon Bigsteel...you've really incorporated some great ideas and have a really nice looking and workable layout planned...is it time to buy wood yet? Is it time to start construction? :thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
nope still no work yet,right now im just gathering supplies which i always dofirst since i hat running back and forth.but i do have my train room cleaned out and getting a mock up nd finding sockets ,electrical lines,etc.i found a place for wod and its REALLY cheap so ill be buyin wood soon.ut my main concern is the rodents.i've been having mice in there and MUST get them out before il do anything.i dont need some giant mice eating all my little people! LOL.as for moving scenes i ould do something like real dumping coal which i planned to do and some working cranes in the mill.but hope to be buildin by the end of this month.thanks--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
also,i wanted to redo my servicing tation to work easier and be more prototypical.i tried to google "RR engine servicing" and various others but nothing.so any help or ideas would be great.thanks.--josh

Herc Driver

Apr 18, 2005
North Carolina
Best place I can think of is www.railpictures.net and do a search for engine servicing or related words. I have found several pictures of engine service yards on that forum so I know they're there because I have hopes of adding one (a very small one) to my layout. But check out that website...I just did a search there and found a lot of pictures by looking for "engine service yard", "service yard", and "fuel" in the keyword search section.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey yall,im back again and need your help and expertise.i thought i had my plan all figured out but realized i really need staging.so heres the challenge i need staging tracks to come off the line that says "staging" and be able to hold 4 trains minimum at 5ft in length.and there must also be a way to turn them around or atleast the engine for return trps from the "destinations".so hereswhat i got so far.the track that does not extend into staging is jus a stub for a depot.TIA.--josh
staging.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
oh and minimum radius is 22in and minimum turnout is #6 but i could go down to a #4.but id have to be careful with fours since ill have 2-6-6-2s on the prowl :D --josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
here is the whole plan if it helps.the staging starts at the point that says "to staging".with all this plan i had nothing to stage trains and still run the whole layout.TIA--josh
layout-1.jpg

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i dont know why this is upsidedown,its hosted on photo bucket.maybe a mod could help out please.thanks.--josh

EDIT:nevermind,i got it :D

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
WOW, that looks like a SWEET!!! Plan :thumb: :thumb: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

New River Mining Company, Western Coal Flood Loader, Roundhose, and best of all, STEEL MILL STUFF!!! Awesome plan Josh :thumb: :mrgreen: :thumb: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

wickman

Dec 8, 2005
Ontario canada
It is a very nice plan , sometimes its very difficult to add in a staging yard to a plan thats already completed. A double ended staging yard would be ideal, obviosly one end would be easy enough to add on its the other that would be the problem. To bad you couldn't decline to below the bench work like I did on my layout. 10 foot sides is really quite a bit to play with.