im stuck on my layout

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
Jan 27, 2007
Paris, ON
I think you're making the wrong compromise. Having the layout at 36" is going to make you feel like the jolly green giant... trust me, you'll enjoy it much more if you have it somewhere around 44-54" high.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
I just read that one expert thinks the layout height should be between your elbow and your armpit. Seriously shorter visitors get kick stools to see and/or operate. Taller folk get to look down. A practical reach at that height isn't all that far. Even to do the often recommended 30 inches, you need to be at least six foot.

I think it's a real though choice if you have kids or want to host them. Not to mention a short spouse. tooth1

brakie

Nov 8, 2001
Bucyrus,Ohio
Visit site
Guys,Layout height is always a personal choice..I like my switching layouts just above a overpass view when I am seated where I can see everything but,not at a bird's eye view.

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
Jan 19, 2002
Vernon Hills, Illinois
Visit site
Height. I'm always amused at train shows, where modular layouts are set up. Adults will squat down to get the "eyelevel" view, and kids want to be held high to get the "birds eye" view. One of the Mall shows we did, had a view from 1300 (scale) feet, :cool: :D

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i really wanted the layout to be kinda low , besides i like the birds eye veiw.and its the only height practical enough to have 3 foot benchwork and be able to reach everything at my 5ft10in height.besides id like to be able to see everything sitting on one of my chairs and be comfortable and not hve to dismount everytime i get off my seat,LOL.i think i might bump it up to 40in.but back to the plan,does it look functional and cool?i think i might change some stuff.

Triplex

Aug 24, 2005
Calgary, Alberta, Canada
besides id like to be able to see everything sitting on one of my chairs and be comfortable and not hve to dismount everytime i get off my seat
That is something to consider. General advice for layout design (which includes "build your layout high") assumes the layout only has to handle adults standing up. Some club layout builders have even had to build their layouts wheelchair-accessible, which makes it obvious how cramped regular design principles are.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
that ewas the point i was trying to convey triplex.i wanted a comfortable layout not something to make your legs give out...and ive seen a layout built by a man in a wheel chair!i uess there really are no limitations to what a man can do.well anyway here is the layout a little more modified.i added the other switching part of the steel mill.switching hot metal cars,so what do you think does it look practical or do i have to redisign it?if so could one of yall give me an idea.it doesnt have to be there i might just add one more yard track instead.near the mine i added a spur of the inner tack for a small staging yard under the mine hill with A and B being the entrance points.i also added another track to the mine.the lead for it will be longer..photo error.here it is.
myredisignedlayout_816841.bmp

oh nd i ws wondering , does anybody have an small industry idea for my spur near the scenic divider?i really ant think of one right now.--josh

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
alright i changed some stuff around.this is it without the steel mill buildings.i still might have just enough room to do it though.i rearranged the A/D track crossovers and extended the mine lead.so what do yo guys think,i might post again with some scenery on it.
myredisignedlayout_816246.bmp

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
Big Steel

Before I make a couple of suggestions, I must say that I am not a devotee of big-time modern and/or industrial railroading. The world I love is late 19th century logging and short lines. I also have a tendency to simplify track plans and get rid of any track that doesn't have an operational or scenic purpose. This may not be what you would want. So think about my suggestions before implementing any of them - you may have a better idea.

- lose the bottom 2 or 3 yard tracks at the steel mill. The steel mill yard over-powers your main yard, and there is no real separation from it. Leave the space where the tracks were empty, or put some low structures there. This will provide some visual separation between the main yard and your steel mill area. I don't think you need that much car storage at the steel mill (but could be wrong).

- your main yard has 4 double-ended tracks, plus 3 single-ended tracks. Unless you are storing complete trains there (staging), or have a separate operator running the yard, 3 double-ended should be sufficient. One track will be the through main line, and the other 2 would be arrival/departure tracks which could also be used as a passing siding. The single ended tracks are your classification tracks. The double-ended tracks should be shortened to your 6ft train length. This will emphasize your main line a little more.

- I'm not sure what the purpose of the passing sidings at the bottom of the plan is. If it is a town, it only needs a single passing siding with a few spurs. The passing siding needs to be 6 ft to match your train length. Again, fewer unnecessary tracks will make your layout look bigger and leave more room for scenery and structures.

- I'm not sure that tying the mine to both sides of the main gains you anything. I personally would make it a single-ended branch, like you originally had. The track arrangement at the mine is great - just adjust the run-around lengths to the length of the cut of cars the mine will be handling. They don't need to be longer than that. The tail length may be just an engine length, or an entire train length - depends on how you want to switch the mine.

- The odd spur could be where mine tailings are dumped. Or could be a team track where supplies for the mine workers are brought to.

- 2-3 tracks for staging is a great idea if they will fit without messing up the other elements of your layout. This will allow you to bring intact trains on/off the layout. They, too, need to be 6ft long to fit your trains.

just my thoughts, it's your layout and choices

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hey pgandw thanks for the help even if you love the 19th centry.i think may remove the upper A/D track and add one more yard track where the A/D track is gone but i would like to keep the A/D tracks since it wont close up the mainline line with ore,coal and limestone.ill then take away the other two yard tracks near the bottom.and by the way the WHOLE yard is for the steel mill,they needed ALOT of stuff you know the steel mill buildings themselves will mostly be shallow releif structures or halves.ill remove a passing siding on the town and make one longer.ill try and figure out a way to make the mine stub ended but i figured it would be easier to switch with it being double-ended.so beside how i screwed up does it look like im on the right track LOL.thanks--josh

P.S ill put a key on it this time since this may get confusing.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
ok finally updated it,im still not sure how to do the mine.this time i added words to describe everything.hope yall like it.
myredisignedlayout_299493.bmp

ill be back in a lil bit to update some stuff.

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
hah,there supposed to represent a rock face:)...i know im not much of an artist.there will be a road along this going around the town and mine area.

CNWman

CNW Fan
Jan 3, 2007
The Riverside Railroad
bigsteel said:
hah,there supposed to represent a rock face:)...i know im not much of an artist.there will be a road along this going around the town and mine area.

Actualy, my first thought of that was indeed a rock face!:D I was just asking because it looked like it was part of a road. Great layout, just to say again!:thumb:

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
pgandw i tried to make the mine stub ended but when i left it stub ended it had to have a run around behind the mine which cannot be on an incline,so it could not be as high as i wanted it to be.ill post it a little later.and thanks for the kind words cnwman

pgandw

Jul 9, 2005
BigSteel
I think you've done a pretty good job of tweaking your plan to suit you. I especially like the way you narrowed the width of the duckunder. While I might have changed a few aspects, that would be to suit me. You have given good reasons for keeping things as they are now.

Take some pictures of your masterpiece as you build it!

yours in training

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
WOOHOOO!i beleive im ready to build my layout! finally i have a chance to build my layout 2 years in the making!.when i actually get started again ill start a post on its progress.thanks everyone for the kind words and ideas!but im still going to need help in the future so keep an eye out for me!and a special thanks to pgandw for all the great help.see yall later.

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Jan 27, 2007
Centurion, South Africa
One point to remember

bigsteel said:
i really wanted the layout to be kinda low , besides i like the birds eye veiw.and its the only height practical enough to have 3 foot benchwork and be able to reach everything at my 5ft10in height.besides id like to be able to see everything sitting on one of my chairs and be comfortable and not hve to dismount everytime i get off my seat,LOL.i think i might bump it up to 40in.but back to the plan,does it look functional and cool?i think i might change some stuff.

bigsteel, there is now one more important thing to remember: You must put on lots and lots and lots of roof details, since your layout will mainly be viewed from high above.

This includes the buildings- especially the buildings- and your locos.