im starting a new layoutand i have a ?

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
this time i want it to be more to scale., so i need to know how far apart mainline track should be in scale feet and/or inches?

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
It really isn't that hard. At he top of the page they define what they mean by Class II, Class I, and Class IA. Then they have a separate chart for each scale. The for various radiuses they show center to center spacing for each class. If you want the safe, easy answer, just use the widest spacing they show. Otherwise, use what fits your situation. What they are trying to show is that larger equipment needs more space on sharper curves. Also, in the M* column, they are trying to say that in a yard, you might need to get your fingers in between cars.

Jeff

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
Cannonball said:
So to be safe, go with 1-13/32" - right?

Yep. You could even go to 1-1/2 to make is easy, if that's what you wanted to do. On the other hand, on a double main line, going down to 1-1/16 might look really good on the straights. You just need to make sure you give yourself some room going in to the curves. Experiment a bit, see what looks good. Then make sure you've got more than the minimum to avoid getting suprised when two trains with long overhang cars meet!

Jeff

bigsteel

Call me Mr.Tinkertrain
Dec 12, 2006
Cincinnati,Ohio
i dont know if this helps but i run big C&O articulateds down to small geeps and use 1 1/2in for straights and 2in for curves and i have a minimum radii of 22in.hope this helps.if it dont....oh well i tried.--josh

EDIT:eek:ooops this is N scale not HO.well we all make mistakes :D

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
13' 0" on centerlines for tangent (straight) track was a common prototype standard. That's only 0.975 inches in N scale. :)

It's awful tight for five fingered switching, though. :eek:

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Jun 18, 2002
Torrington, Ct.
Torpedo said:
13' 0" on centerlines for tangent (straight) track was a common prototype standard. That's only 0.975 inches in N scale. :)

It's awful tight for five fingered switching, though. :eek:

I was just going to ask...."How big are your fingers?"
Might want to take that in consideration(NMRA standard does this I think), for re-railing an errant piece of rolling stock.

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
The man said he wanted to be more scale. He didn't say anything about not wanting the difficulties exact scale brings to the tiNy gauge. sign1sign1sign1

ozzy

Jun 24, 2006
milton iowa
MY trains dont derail!!!!!!!!!! im a better engineer then that.....lmao

all i wanted to know was for a double mainline. i already know what im spacing the yard at to make it easier..

eightyeightfan1 said:
Might want to take that in consideration(NMRA standard does this I think), for re-railing an errant piece of rolling stock.

baldwinjl

Apr 30, 2005
eightyeightfan1 said:
Also, on any curve at all our cars have more overhhang than the real thing, since our curves are so tight (even broad ones). Going less that the NRMA recommendations is asking for trouble, I think. What is prototype varies alot by time and location. Thirteen feet would be the short side. Fifteen feet, or even more, is more likely these days, from what I have read.

Jeff

Torpedo

Jan 20, 2007
baldwinjl said:
Thirteen feet would be the short side. Fifteen feet, or even more, is more likely these days, from what I have read.

Which is why I said "was." :D:D:D

13' was pretty much the norm for the heavy steam, early diesel era. Today, when 13'is specified, it tends to be the absolute minimum allowed.