Im new, anwsers wanted

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I am planning to build a small N Scale layout of 3"by 7". I'm new to MRR'ing. What's a good starter DC Power Pack that is not overly expnsive. I have chose to use Kato Unitrack. Any suggestions?

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I have found the MRC Tech series to be everything you could want for the price. I myself use an MRC RailPower 1300 on my test bench. It's the cheapest of the cheapies and works just fine.

rsn48

Feb 27, 2003
North Vancouver, BC, Canada
Visit site
Watkins,
Perhaps one of the least understood things about dcc with newbies is the concept - "wiring is tougher with dcc." Its the exact reverse: wiring is easier with dcc, you need less of it, and you don't have to buy a bunch of selectors, controllers, etc - whatever Atlas flogs.

Here is how to wire for dcc:

1) Run two larger gauge wires down the middle of your layout (underneath) - this is called your power bus. I don't know why two wires are called "buses" but who am I to question.

2) Attach feeders from track A to power bus A under neath. Attach feeder B from track B to power bus B underneath. How often you attach feeders is the only "controversial part." About 4 MR's ago, there was an article discussing buses, and recommended feeders every three feet - its a good article - read it, and it gives it reason for the recommendation.

3) Reversing loops - easier with dcc. Get an auto reverser - wire per instructions, make sure the reversing loop is completely isolated, from the mainline feeding track. By this I mean, use insulated joiners, or whatever on both track just before the reversing loop.

I guarantee you, these wiring instructions are much easier than block wiring.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Oh wait, that garage space I was talking about has been taken up! :mad: :mad: :mad: Now all I have is a cheapy 2' by 4' table which has chipped green paint. Any one know a layout plan with Kato Unitrack that small, but not a toy train oval?

csxnscale

May 9, 2002
Belgium
Visit site
rc,
If you had a 3' by 6' you could build this with Unitrack.

Paul

The trackplan

goff4.jpg

A picture

FOTO17.jpg

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Originally posted by porkypine52
get your first layout running, so that you can get the feel for MODEL RAILROADING.

I only have enough room for 1 layout.

BTW-deminsions for the garage table are 36" by 92" yes inches. :(

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
Originally posted by porkypine52
As shaygetz says, go get a MRC TECH power pack. Best for starting out. Remember you get what you pay for. Spend a little extra and get a good power pack. Do one other thing, get a cheap power pack, from a toy train set, to power your turnouts from. That way you can throw your turnouts without draining power from your track
I have been looking at power packs & may buy a couple of the tech4 200 packs. I found them for $40 on 4nscale.com. And I already have the turnout power supply at hand, that being a Bachmann toy pack that they want in that big giant reference book for $25. :eek:

I have another ?. Does any1 know shipping costs on 4nscale.com?

stary

Jul 22, 2002
bridgeport, pa.
Visit site
Originally posted by rcwatkins
I have been looking at power packs & may buy a couple of the tech4 200 packs. I found them for $40 on 4nscale.com. And I already have the turnout power supply at hand, that being a Bachmann toy pack that they want in that big giant reference book for $25. :eek:

I have another ?. Does any1 know shipping costs on 4nscale.com?
be sure and use AC for powering turnouts, lights, etc. You're ok though, with a toy train transformer.

rcwatkins

Jul 4, 2003
TN
Visit site
I am going to use Unitrack. Things have been on the upswing lately. Saturday I bought a LBF CSX Big Blue Boxcar. Monday I sold my Xbox (video game console) to a friend for his birthday for $200. Today I got the boxcar. :D I have also found out that my mom (yes I'm only 13) will help me move things around so I could lengthen my layout.

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Great Websites for MRRers new and veteran

Hello. Two really great and informative sites for anybody in the hobby are maintained by the National Model RR Ass'n (NMRA). They are:

www.nmra.org , and (my personal favorite)

http://www.cwrr.com/nmra/nmralink.html

I got started in HO in the mid-60's back when neither this sort of access to information nor the almost embarassing wealth of manufactured products we have today was around. ...and I made a lot of mistakes learning it the hard way. Please, give the sites a look-over. Best of luck getting going in this greatest of all hobbies.