I'm new and eBay is big, is this a good deal?

CNWGP38

Jun 5, 2004
No, It does not say what brand the cars are from. They could be tyco, cheap life like.
for that money you could buy new stuff.

Todd

Ray Marinaccio

Aug 4, 2003
Dewey Az.
Visit site
Welcome to the Gauge Stormsong13.
I agree with CNWGP38.
I would start with something like this.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=484&item=5916877070&rd=1

Here's a good deal.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19139&item=5918284362&rd=1

If your into steam locomotives.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&category=19129&item=5912615811&rd=1

These are just examples. You can find better deals if you shop around.
Talk to Friends and relatives, tell them your interested in model railroading. You may find someone that has a collection stashed in the Attic they will part with for a reasonable price. I've acquired quite a bit that way.

Another option is to look at yard sales and flea markets.

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
storm,

It really helps to know your product (like anything else) to know if you are getting a good deal or not. I can usually recognize stuff on ebay and sometimes it isn't identified or is mis-identified. Currently there is an Athearn 40' Hi-cube D&RGW boxcar which is identified as a Walthers brand. But it is always good to ask if you dont' know. You can ask the seller or someone here. Sometimes sellers don't know their own product too.

hd8091

May 20, 2004
Before you buy on E-bay be sure to check the sellers feedback..My cut off is 99% positive based on the volume of business they do.Be sure to figure in the shipping and handling costs as well. IMHO there are some good deals there, alot of okay ones and some guys who are plain dishonest .. Check your local hobby store, if you have one and try to go to some swap meets; it will give you a chance to get your feet wet so to speak..A few cars to stay away from: Tyco, LifeLike, Bachmann,but not Spectrum. Good bang for the buck..Athearn blue box, cars and engines, Accurail (sp), MDC all good stuff to start with, not state of the art but good runners. Finally if you go DC a good MRC power pack # 260 or the like. Have fun and be patient, there is always another deal around the corner. My .02 worth
Tom

RioGrande

Jun 10, 2004
hd8091 said:
Tyco, LifeLike, Bachmann,but not Spectrum. Good bang for the buck..Athearn blue box, cars and engines, Accurail (sp), MDC all good stuff to start with, not state of the art but good runners. Finally if you go DC a good MRC power pack # 260 or the like. Have fun and be patient, there is always another deal around the corner. My .02 worth
Tom
I pretty much agree with all the comments here - with the exception of Bachmann Spectrum "diesels". IMHO, the Spectrum diesels are not well done and are a very half hearted effort by Bachmann to offer a "better quality" diesel. They are generally less than mediocre and usually contain allot of dimensional errors, poorly rendered details and not very good running. The Spectrum F40PH's are particularly bad. I can go into detail if needed but suffice it to say the most experienced model railroaders seem to agree on Spectrum diesels. The Spectrum steam was done by a different division of Bachmann and are much better from all accounts.