I'm losin' it!!

msh

A couple months back I lost my job and all that entails. For a while, during my job searches, I worked hard on the layout and made some real nice progress, but since then the money has dried up and my outlook is quite grim. I've begun to notice I have NO interest in my trains AT ALL. I haven't touched them in any way for weeks. No scenic work, no planning, no wiring, no running trains, no forum posting... nothing. I've even thought of selling it off to raise funds, although that is only a "thought" at the moment.

I really enjoyed my hobby until now, but fear I'm losing that part of my life to the realities that abound. I'm not looking for advice or anything - just wanted to vent a bit. I certainly can't do that anywhere else - except a shrink!

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Hi Michael,

Hang in there! I have noticed that your site has not been updated in a while. I visit in the hopes that you posted something new, as I always enjoy your "photojournalism" and it helps me get moving on my own layout.

I know you are not looking for advice or anything, but I for one appreciate the work you do and what it adds to our hobby.

Take care, and good luck - something will come up when you least expect it...

Andrew

TR-Flyer

Hi Bonk:

Thirteen years ago i parted company with the company i was with because it just wasn't working out, for me or the Owner. Didn't know where i was going but hit the streets every day, cruised the want ads each morning and called everyone I knew, both in town and in other towns. Ended up finding a job at the end of two weeks. Was going to start looking outside my field that coming Sunday (maybe I could learn to drive a forklift?). It was only for 2/3 of my previous pay, no benefits, but at least it was in my field, architecture. Well, worked there for three months with my savings account dwindling and the plastic bills growing. The Owner loved the work i did and did all she could for me within her means, but it was obvious this was not a permanent solution to my career/income needs. So, i started cruisin' the want ads again, calling around again and ran a situation wanted ad in a national professional newsletter.

About two weeks later i got a call from a "sweet voiced southern thang" asking me to fax her my resume because her boss had seen my ad. It said I’d be willing to relocate to NC, SC, VT or MD. We were in VA at the time and she was in SC. Well, ended up coming to SC and that’s been 12 years now.

The moral of the story? Keep up the steady effort on the work search. Go to “work” each day by looking for work. Don’t be afraid to relocate if your family is willing. If Charlotte is more important, don’t be afraid to change professions. Things change every day, why can’t you? You are after all, still young, at least two years younger than me! Shut down all non-essential expenses. BTW having some fun is an essential! Enjoy “family time”. Work on your hobbies in your “spare time” so you can recharge your soul and face the tasks before you in the days ahead. Don’t give up. Vent “creatively”. Look to your family for moral support. Let your friends, consultants and former colleagues know you’re actively seeking employment. The bigger your net the greater likelihood you’ll catch a good fish.

Good luck. BTW – Work’s been slow here since November, so my family has been on a “tight budget” for six months. Be glad when the economy sorts itself out.

Regards,
Ted

brakie

Bonkie,I been there and done that with lay offs,injured back that required 2 operations and the untimely death of my wifeand then a light heart attack..I would have not known what to do wasn't for the hobby giving me a escape route though all of that..I recovered from my hard times and there is no doubt you will to.:D

sumpter250

multiscale modelbuilder
msh,
I've been "unimployed" for over a year now, and have been lowering my sights, and expectations, ever since. Having the hobby, and interaction with friends here on the gauge, has helped. My case isn't quite so disastrous because I'm retired Navy, and have that monthly oncome, but the unimployment compensation is long run out, and savings are getting close to nonexistant. Needless to say, I appreciate your situation. Survival mode isn't fun, but hang tough, and keep looking, and vent here if necessary.
Pete

Tyson Rayles

Bonky I can't say anything any better than has already been said. Hang in there, it may take a while but it will sort itself out. This is the very time that you need a hobby more than ever. Good luck and don't forget you have alot of friends here!

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
I feel for all of you who are struggling to find a job or career. Over the years, I have worked for a number of companies who now don't exist anymore. So many companies seem to be cutting expenses in order to improve their profitabilty. Crazy investors insist that they do or else their share values drop. Stock markets never used to be like that but now just watch out. At the moment though, unemployment is higer in Canada than it is in the USA. We are fortunate to have this hobby to keep us sane.

CSX6638

Bonky, sorry to hear of your present status, but hang in there it will get better. Unfortunately most of us have also been there at one time.
Once I was out of work for over a year, I used to job hunt every day and at night I had a small boat and I fished most if the night and sold the fish to the local market, that helped keep my head above water and feed my family. I bothered a few places 2-3 times a week for a job finally one of them got tired of me coming in there every other day and they hired me, worked there 12 years. Don't give up, and don't get down on your self.
All the Best
Good Luck

Ralph

Remember...it's for fun!
Hi msh,
Sorry to hear that times are hard and that right now the hobby brings you no joy. I hope all of that changes for the better soon.
Best wishes,
Ralph

interurban

Hi msh, I do hope things get better for you even as I type this,
"Hang in there" may not seem to say much to you at the moment, but as I have talked to a lot of senior folk that phrase crops up all the time, and they went through a few hard years, I know it was a different time than now but as they told me that`s all they could do.
I hope it wont be to long when you can look back and say "I did"
Been there done that did`nt like it, BUT I hung in.
Praying that all works out well.

coachsig

Bonky,
It's times like this that I go back to the old cliches that I have used for years in my profession, family, and coaching:

When the going gets tough, the tough get going.

Temporary inconvience for permanent improvement.

Sometimes life has a funny way of telling you that you need to rethink your priorities. I love coaching, but I also look forward to the end of each season. This is only the end of the season...others will follow. And each new season will present you with new difficulities and NEW OPPORTUNITIES.

Hang in there, take a well deserved rest , and then come out "fighting like hell!!!!!!!!!!!"

Best of wishes to you for the future!
Keep us informed.
Coachsig

grumbeast

Hi Bonky,

I hear you man, I got laid off in November and have been
frantically searching ever since. Like you the money is a huge
worry and my wife and I are desperate to keep our house.

Don't give up the railway tho. Right now its that and a very
supportive wife that are keeping me sane. I've had a lot of
encouragement from my friends here on the gauge and it makes
this very tough time a little easier to bear.

I know we'll both end up with something, my sights have certainly
been lowered and I'm happy with that, as long as I can make the
bills I'll take whatever job I can. I know people use the "hang in
there" cliche a lot, I've heard it all the time but I guess it didn't
get to be a cliche without being true. So lets both keep it
together and "Hang in there". Be assured I'll be sending some
positive vibes your way.

the very best of luck my friend.

Graham

jon-monon

MSH, old friend, when nothing you love interests you anymore, it's depression. Happens to all of us sooner or later, usually when we really don't need it because we have other problems to deal with. All you can do is get up and go. What works for me is arobic exercise. It takes a coupla weeks, but if I get up an hour early, go for a 45 min. fast walk in the cool morning air, it gives me energy and a fresh outlook on life. Try it you'll like it :)

Will pray for you too :) and of course, for grum.

csxnscale

msh ( Bonkie),

Don't give up.
I have been there, lost my job after 21 years working for the Ford Motor Cie in my country.
Reorganisation was the word.
It was in the beginning of the nineties and many people ware unemployed those days in Belgium.
It took 6 months to get a new job, don't lose faith, you will get a new job.
Don't give up your hobby neither, you do not have to by something new to be happy with your trains.
I saw many people scratchbuilding great buildings with cardboard and other spare materials and when you try things like that you will clear your mind and forget at leasr for a little time your sorrows.
Wish you the best.

Paul

aartwmich

Originally posted by jon-monon
MSH, old friend, when nothing you love interests you anymore, it's depression...

MSH..I'm glad Jon said it, and I'll second it. I've dealt with it my whole life. It's important to stay physically active and eating well to keep your body healthy so your mind can deal with the depression.

Yah yah yah...and hang in there, keep looking and everything everyone else said

cidchase

Hi Mike,
When I got booted a couple of tears ago, I was very lucky to be able able to snag one of my customers and go off on my own. I haven't made a decent profit yet but so far I still own the house!!
Anyway, you still have your talent (I know you have talent, I've seen your website) :) and abilities, your family and their support, and your health. You might be a lot better off than some folks!
As before, good luck with the job search!

"Non illegitimi carborundum." :D

RaiderCTE

Bonk, what line of work are you in? Since I'm in Charlotte I can help spread the word. I'm in Technology and my wife is with the bank. It can't hurt.

Hi Michael, I'm glad you posted your predicament for it's at times like these that one needs our friends. You have a heap of friends here at The Gauge and that counts for a lot and the Gaugers are the salt of this earth.
Being retired, I don't have money to burn on this hobby but I sure won't give it up.
You're going through the grinder right now but I heard that when things are bad you guys over there are at your best. Pete and Graham are there too and probably many more who would rather not say so.
You have your health, your family around you and your skills, this is a temporary state of affairs and believe it or not it could be a sight worse. Keep your chin up and keep smiling, even though there might not seem like much to smile about. You all have inner strengths you might not even be aware of and lets face it things can and will get better.
I know moral support doesn't put food on the table or pay bills but we all wish you well, and for all you know tomorrow might just turn up the job you dream of.

Best wishes to you all and your families.

Errol