I'm looking to buy a MDC roundhouse Vanderbuilt Tender.....

EM-1

Everyone,
I'm new to the board. And i'm working on a new project. I want to model a specific B&O 2-8-2 for the B&O that had a Vanderbuilt Tender. I got all the parts so far but the tender. I'm not only customizing a 2-8-2 but also repowering it as well Its a Bachmann
2-8-2, and i'm unhappy with its preformance. But I got all the mechanics done now its time to get all the nessary parts need to do a prtotipical 2-8-2 for the B&O. Anyone that may have a spare or know where I can get a used one (Can ya tell theirs no local hobby shops in my area?) E-mail me at yellowstone10@hotmail.com THANKS a bunch in advanced.

------------------
"EM-1"
B&O's Finest....
"As EM-1 #7600 emerges from the east portal of Sand Patch Tunnel, it splits the signal at SA tower to head on its way into Meyersdale, PA headed for Connelsville, PA and then onto Pittsburgh. As the rear of the train clears the east porat of Sand Patch the 2 S-1a's uncouple to make their way back down this tramendous grade to Hynman, PA to be ready for the next battle up the B&O "Sand Patch Grade" ~John.

George

EM-1,

What is the attraction with the Roundhouse tender, is it metal? Why don't you rework a Bachmann vandy with some new wheels? Would probably save some time and $$$?

George.

EM-1

George,
Its because of the Tender actually its a vandy oil tender for one and the rest of the body really isn't what the B&O had, and I would get into alot of retooloing the body. Too much work actually when I can get a MDC roundhouse tender and paint it and add the extras to it. Its not that its metal or anything its about the body style of it. Its the closest to the real proto-type.
biggrin.gif
To do all the retooling would be alot work that I really don't have to do. If I were to get a MDC it would cut the time in half to build it, as I am doing alot of retooling on the loco itself! If your familar to the B&O
2-8-2's, they had one that had elephant ears and a special orifice smoke stck on it. (something different). Thats why i'm building this preticular one. But anyway thanks for the concern and the time.....
smile.gif

------------------
"EM-1"
B&O's Finest....
"As EM-1 #7600 emerges from the east portal of Sand Patch Tunnel, it splits the signal at SA tower to head on its way into Meyersdale, PA headed for Connelsville, PA and then onto Pittsburgh. As the rear of the train clears the east porat of Sand Patch the 2 S-1a's uncouple to make their way back down this tramendous grade to Hynman, PA to be ready for the next battle up the B&O "Sand Patch Grade" ~John.

[This message has been edited by EM-1 (edited 03-22-2001).]

George

Sounds like quite a project. Thanks for the info, I always liked these tenders.

I wonder if Bowser ever made them?

George.

EM-1

George,
Yes Bowser made them. But they are something to put together i've built like 5 or 6 of them and don't care for them because nothing actually fits or is made as good as they say it is. But thats normal anymore nothing really has that "good quallity" anymore. But we all know this so....
biggrin.gif

George

That's too bad, EM-1.

I've always heard that you shouldn't try a Bowser kit unless you have a lathe and a union card. Also that nothing they make ever fits. In fact, I have not even heard about anyone having purchased an RTR locomotive from them in years.

I wonder how their PRR cattle cars are to build? I also can't help but wonder how they stay in business with such a reputation.
frown.gif

George.

EM-1

George,
I guess people just likes to mess with their unfitted crap. I put a few together, (cars and tenders) I never tempted a loco yet and i'm a little weary in doing one... I know th reputation they got and its sad most companies wouldn't be around if they had a rep like that.....

------------------
"EM-1"
B&O's Finest....

Drew1125

EM-1,
I hope you have better luck getting delivery on an MDC tender than I'm having with their Shay kit.
Are you ordering direct, or through Walther's?

EM-1

Charlie,
I hadn't ordered anything from MDC as of yet. I've been going the rout of looking for a personal owner for one. I might have a way better chance of getting it!!!!! I know how companies get with things like this....
biggrin.gif

------------------
"EM-1"
B&O's Finest....

At our Finger Lakes Railfair this past weekend there was a dealer who had three MDC Vanderbilt tenders. Don't know if they are exactly what you are looking for; but, if you email me privately, I'll send you contact information. Good luck.

------------------
Dave Flinn, Northeast Regional Vice President, NRHS
National Director, Cornell Chapter, NRHS
Life Member NMRA, NER, NFR,
Danbury Railway Museum

EM-1

Dave,
E-mail me at:

yellowstone10@hotmail.com

And i'll reply to your questions the best I can. My computer isn't up to its full self and my out look express isn't working. You contact me and i'll reply back in e-mail and from their on I can e-mail you regularly as a reply or a stright new e-mail. THANKS ~John

------------------
"EM-1"
B&O's Finest....