Im falling in LOVE with MDC kits!

davidmbedard

May 19, 2003
Calgary, Canada
www.davidbedard.com
There is something to be said about making your own steam locos rather than just buying them. That said, this locomotive will never be as good as a new Bachperson offering and such. But it runs smooth, already has a Lenz decoder in it, its quiet, and really really heavy.

This is my Second MDC kit, the first being a 2 truck Shay!

mdc280%20b.jpg

mdc280.JPG

Its not close to being finished, it requires lettering, brass blackening and weathering. Its has tonz of room for a sound decoder and ample room for a speaker in the tender.

Here is my first kit finished.
2truckshay%20011.jpg

Cheers

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
In my (often not so...) humble opinion, what you're discovering, David, is the joy of model railroading. Scratch and kit building is far more than half of the pleasure to be derived from this hobby. I cannot fathom why so many of today's model railroaders deny themselves the enjoyment.

Whadda you mean, "not as good" as (hah!) Bachperson? (Another humble opinion coming....) No ready-to-run locomotive can ever be as sweet as one you've built yourself.

BillS

George D

Aug 28, 2003
Yorktown, VA
Visit site
David, that's a good start. :thumb: I agree with Bill, you'll like that kit built Pennsy consolidation a lot more than any ready to run loco you could buy.

That's a good looking shay too. What scale is it?

George

Glen Haasdyk

Feb 2, 2004
Kelowna, BC
Visit site
Good job! I just finished the 0-6-0t engine myself. It runs okay but it needed alot of breaking in on the test track. Probably could use some more 'tweaking' before it officialy enters revenue service.

Bill Stone

Apr 20, 2001
San Dimas, California, USA
Visit site
Many people improve the break in of newly built locos by initially "lubricating" them with polishing compound (or even tooth paste) instead of oil or grease. This does a nice job of mating and polishing the friction surfaces.

After a run in period there needs to be enough disassembly to permit cleaning the stuff out of there, and replacing it with oil or grease.

BillS

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
I'm with Bill and George, there just ain't nothin' in your roundhouse that compares with one you built and tweeked yourself...except each succeeding one. You'll only get better...:thumb: :thumb: :thumb: