I'm excited!!!

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
Congratulations, Val, for your success. Those signs look just great!

It must be a tremendous feeling to see something in catalogs and in shops which you designed yourself. I'm sharing your happiness, and I hope that you'll produce many more designs to liven up the downtown streets on many layouts. :thumb:

Ron

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Thanks a lot my friends!!! Ron, it is a great feeling and one I'll never tire of.

Chris, I've spent my life as a graphic designer, so it's really not that much of a stretch going from package design to signs. As I mentioned before, I love the retro style, but for my corporate and packaging clients it just didn't fit the bill. That's why this project was such fun for me - I finally got to do something I love!

Anyway, thanks again everyone!

Val

aartwmich

Nov 30, 2002
SW Michigan
www.angelfire.com
You GO Girl! :thumb: :thumb: How VERY cool to have realized such a dream!! I'm so happy for you--CONGRATS!!

The animation gif is moving..haha..brings back memories. :D

Now, forgive my 'rivet counting' but, I have a technical question. I can't help it!! I see something like this and gotta ask how'd they DO that!!

Are these actually gas filled neon tubes?? I thought those signs were incadescent bulbs that were controlled somehow to turn them on/off to produce the 'movement'?? How do they DO that?!?!?

I also wondered..there are part numbers for left and right, does that mean that these signs are one-sided? Would you need two mounted together to have a two-sided sign?

Again..CONGRATS Val!!! ;)

EDIT Well, I just answered my own question about the two-sidedness by looking farther into the website :rolleyes: and seeing their other 'neon' signs. Very intriguing, I might have to get the experimenters kit just to check it out, they really DO look like neon!!!

Lighthorseman

Jul 24, 2002
Out in the sticks
Visit site
Bravo!

What a RUSH it is going to be to open the pages of (for example...)Model Railroader and see layout pictures with your artwork right there.

A very well-earned :thumb: :thumb: congratulations:thumb: :thumb: to you, Val!!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
Originally posted by aartwmich
I see something like this and gotta ask how'd they DO that!!

Uh, um..... I have NO idea!!! I'm just the flaky artist - I don't know how the technical end works. In fact, you'd probably know better than I would. Just to let you know, the animated gif really doesn't do justice to all the different chase patterns there are - all the other parts of the sign can be made to flash on and off as well as the running lights. They're very cool when you see them in real life.

As you found out, they are one-sided, available either left or right. Most people will probably set it up so that you view the sign from one direction only - that's what I'll be doing.

Anyway, thanks again everyone for your heartfelt congratulations!!!!!!!

Val