I'm excited!!!

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
It's happened at last!!! The first neon signs I designed for Miller Engineering have been released and are up on their website.

This has been a dream project, turning my love of retro design into an actual product that other modellers can use on their layouts. Man it doesn't get any better than this.

If you want to take a look the link is here

Whooohooooo!!!!

Val

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
NICE WORK! :D:D:cool:

Those are great signs. We had two like that here in Ottawa, one was for a theatre, and the other for the original Colonial Furniture. They unfortunately got covered over by a McDonald's and Staples/Business Depot. Luckily though,m they retain their original size and shape, so the possibility of restoration, while unlikely, remains.

Pizza Delite brings back memories of the once ubiquitous restaurant (now found only in the Maritimes), and the Zanzibar is a classic!

Great signs. I am very impressed!

:thumb: :thumb:

Andrew

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Hi Val, I am real happy for you, many congraulations indeed. Just took a peek at the website, wow, these are terriffffffffic.
Shamus

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
When you ask how far back the signs go Jon, are you referring to neon in general, or the big signs that projected out from the fronts of buildings? Here's something I found on the net about neon. It's been around for quite awhile.

The French engineer, chemist, and inventor Georges Claude (1870-1960), was the first to apply an electrical discharge to a sealed tube of neon gas (circa 1902) to create a lamp. He displayed the first neon lamp to the public in 1910 in Paris. In 1923, Georges Claude and his French company Claude Neon, introduced neon gas signs to the United States, by selling two to a Packard car dealership in Los Angeles. Earle C. Anthony purchased the two signs reading "Packard" for $24,000. Neon lighting quickly became a popular fixture in outdoor advertising. Visible even in daylight, people would stop and stare at the first neon signs dubbed "liquid fire."

History Note: Before there were neon signs in America, there were commercial sign tubes that used a carbon dioxide fill. The carbon dioxide signs were made by a man called Moore. Neon gas was discovered by William Ramsey and M. W. Travers in 1898 in London.

Cool, huh?

Val

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
That is interesting. Immagine the safety concerns of working with high voltage circuits back then!

I was wondering about that type of sign that you modeled. There were several of those in the small town where I grew up, but I don't think they were neon.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
Oct 31, 2002
Ottawa, Canada
Visit site
Originally posted by jon-monon
That is interesting. Immagine the safety concerns of working with high voltage circuits back then!

I think it was someone at The Gauge (was it you jon?) that said:

"We didn't know about safety in those days, so no one got hurt."

:D:D:D

Andrew

F

Fred_M

I'm glad to see someone make some money at their hobby. Your signs look great. FRED