I'm about fed up with this DCC stuff...

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Like I said, I'm about fed up with this DCC stuff. Aside from all my other little problems and quirks of DCC, today, my second N scale Challenger up and Kapoots. Same problem as the first one... running fine, stop, change direction, and nothing...it just sits there and clicks. I guess it was bound to happen sooner or later....as I said in this thread regarding the first one...
http://forum.zealot.com/t116722/
"How long will it be until this one breaks?"
I am so disgusted, I have not even tried troubleshooting it other than removing it from the track and re placing it again to no avail.
Anybody have a hammer?
I never had any of these problems with DC.

MCL_RDG

Dec 8, 2002
S.E.PA.
Visit site
Hey-

- as a friendly reminder, shoot video when you adjust that decdoder with the mallet (ewwwwww, was that a bad choice of words?), and post the results on YouTube.

You too(tube) can be a star for fifteen minutes. Just be sure you have 15 minutes of video! Even if 14:30 is of you sitting in a chair post adjustment.

wall1:eek:

I'm certain you can always be sure to find out the problem with a clicking loco by pummeling it into to pieces.

Actually I hear you. I am thinking about DCC and looking over the roster. Most of it recent. Hmmmm- maybe, but...

...let me know how you make out and if you're gonna post a video.

Regretably,

Mark

P.S. What system are ya using, I'm in the market for a used one that might be available soon.:wave:

UP SD40-2

Apr 29, 2006
TranNut, i am sorry to hear about your Challenger:frowns: , i am miffed as to what is wrong with it:confused: . i think DCC in N scale is probably more problematic then HO, i have the 2 Challengers in HO and they run flawlessly:winki: . i have next to NEVER had ANY problems with ANY aspect of DCC(knock on wood:119: ).

DON'T SMASH THE ENGINE:cry: , is it still covered under warranty?:confused:
:deano: -Deano

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Allright, so the hammer might be a bit much then. Still, it provided some mental relief for my frustration.
UPSD40-2 - Yes, you mentioned your two Challengers before when I was having problems with the last one. I'm using the Digitrax Zephyr combined with a wireless transmitter and a DT400r handheld. Even that gives me fits from time to time. Some days, I turn it on, I get lights and sound but can not seem to get ANY of my engines to respond with movement. I'll turn it back off and come back to it several hours later and all will be fine. Just some of the many little quirks I'm dealing with. It is really making me question the Big Boy that's coming out. I've got one on order but now... :cry:
Yes, I believe it is still covered under warranty.

jesso

Jul 21, 2006
Washington, Utah
www.thetechfamily.com
As I only have one DCC engine. I can't be much help. I'm sorry that you are having so many issues with those engines. Have you tried to do the factory default reset on the decoder? Also, I think I remember you having schematics for the tender? Is this one heating up like the other one did. Maybe something is wearing down the wiring and causing the short? I don't know, steam engines in N scale scare me, so many TINY parts.

nolatron

Nov 17, 2004
Katy, TX
railroad.sodh.net
I have several dcc equipped engines and never had a problem with them. I think the issue is with Athearn's Challenger itself.

I had one, for about 20 minutes, until it suffered a hardware failure. It went back in the box and returned. I've read of plenty issues people are having with Athearn's challenger. It's a great looking loco, but I think they may have rushed it getting to the market so the mechanics and electronics are suffering.

Hopefully the 2nd run coming up this year, and the upcoming Big Boy don't suffer from the same fate.

woodone

Feb 7, 2007
Phoenix, AZ.
As I only have one DCC engine. I can't be much help. I'm sorry that you are having so many issues with those engines. Have you tried to do the factory default reset on the decoder? Also, I think I remember you having schematics for the tender? Is this one heating up like the other one did. Maybe something is wearing down the wiring and causing the short? I don't know, steam engines in N scale scare me, so many TINY parts.
Jesso, might have hit the problem???
I did work on one Challenger and I found that the two wires in the tender used for the pick up from the rails to the decoder were pinched on the frame and the speaker enclosure-:eek: They had not shorted out at the time but it looked like they were on there way to rubbing through the insulation. Metal to metal would sure mess things up. Still I think that Athearn should make good on the warranty. A $425.00 locomotive should run for years without any problems- DCC or DC.