Illusion

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
While visiting the Crayon Museum/factory in Easton PA, Dingbat went to the sand box and I stepped outside for a ciggy. I noticed the reflection in the windows across the street had no basis. On closer inspection I could see it was either painted or was a paper.
Now if this could be miniaturized and used in some way to reflect the back side of a model it might give some interesting effects.
Just think out loud?

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
I saw something at the dollar store that might work well for what you want to do.

It was wraping paper but it was actually refelctive mylar plastic. It came in all different colors including reflective silver. Even the colored versions have a reflective silver back just like a mirror...and some light will pass thru it.

Sir_Prize

Mar 4, 2001
Port Charlotte,Florida
Visit site
That MYLAR stuff would be awesome for "Modern" skyscrapers
(i.e.- The Hexagon Skyscaper from Atlas w/ Copper color mylar)
You could cut out some of the plastic "simulated window" glue the
mylar down, then have a plastic/wood/cardstock room inside the
building with a light in it.
When your layout is dark turn the lights on... Realistic City Night!

Hmmm.... Yup, I'm doin' that on my Urban switcher shelf layout.

spitfire

Jul 28, 2002
Toronto, Canada
www.parkdaleyard.com
This is very interesting Goattee. I've been thinking about something similar for awhile now. The tricky part about using something with true reflections like mylar, is that the buildings you're facing when you stand in front of the layout, will reflect you!!

I tried printing out some images of buildings with a sky background to stick behind my windows, but when you light the inside that won't really work.

Still pondering how this can be done......

Val

Vic

Feb 1, 2002
Columbus GA
Visit site
What if?

Hi Val, What if you printed the images on a transparancy sheet and then backed that with a reflective surface such as the mylar?

I dunno? But it might be worth a shot:)

Goattee

Feb 12, 2004
Walls, MS
Visit site
museum

billk;
Great! Especially if you have younger kids. If you get the chance go see it. We enjoyed watching the kids and also joined in in some of the activities.

PS: We weren't with any kids of our own. Just Dingbat and me.