I'll be gone for a few days.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
My brother is picking me up in about 4 hours to help him move from So Cal to Oklahoma City. I'll be away from the 'puter until the night before Thanksgiving. He'll be driving his Freightliner and I'll be driving his F350 with a car trailer in tow. We are going to try to drive straight through with cat naps to keep us from getting too tired. See you all in a few.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Wow! 1300 miles and 19 hours. That'l be some trip straight through. We did a Tucson to Toldedo trip one time and it took us 4 and a half longggggg days. Good luck! Wave at me if you pass through Phoenix though you will probably be taking the 40 all the way across through Flagstaff. Drink lots'a Mountain Dew for that boring stretch between Flagstaff and Albuquerque!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Thanks Trainnut. He made his last delivery of plants to Pheonix & Tucson this week. He just called me from Blythe on his way here to pick me up. We will be going I-40 all the way, except for the 30 miles of I 15 from Victorville to Barstow where I-40 begins. I think we are figuring on doing it in 22-24 hours depending on how much we need to sleep. He sold his trailers in Az., but still has the Freightliner. It is a long wheelbase 2 axle tractor with a walk in sleeper. He plans to have it converted into a motorhome after he gets moved. It has a 63 series Detroit Diesel putting out about 400-450 hp and probably 1200-1500 ft lbs of torque. It should make a nice motorhome.

Nazgul

Jan 22, 2006
Ohio
Russ
that's a lot of driving...make sure to have plenty of your beverage of choice:eek: and pull over when ya got to.....have a safe trip and hurry back.....WE NEED YOU!:D :wave:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
Fortunately, I enjoy driving probably even more than model railroading. Of course I would much rather do the drive in my Firebird than a pick up with trailer! I'm planning to help Starbucks profit margin on the way!

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Russ Bellinis said:
Of course I would much rather do the drive in my Firebird than a pick up with trailer!
Of course you are gone right now but when you get back, did you have a good trip & what year Firebird?

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I'm back. It took us Saturday and all day Sunday to get everything out of his garage and into the storage facility. We got the pick up loaded and the Spitfire (car, not airplane) on the trailer and tied down and finally got on the road at 7:30 Sunday night. We got to his house in Oklahoma City area at 7:30 in the morning. We slept perhaps 5 hours total on the trip. It looks like it will take 2 more trips to get everything back there. Our next one will probably be over Jan 1.

My Firebird is an 87 Trans Am, that has had a 350 installed with a world class t-5 with 1le gear sets. It also has a custom chip so I can get 21-23 mpg on 87 octane with 9.3:1 cr with steel heads.

TrainNut

Ditat Deus
Sep 15, 2004
AZ
Sorry, I meant to post back to this subject but forgot about it until now when I was going back looking for something else. Reason I asked about the Firebird is 'cause we had one and really loved it... 'till the family came along. Ever try to put a car seat in the back seat of one of those things? Sure the doors are 6' long and the car seat does fit (barely), but without any room for little legs. Sooo, every time the little one wants to stretch or kick those legs around, you feel it right behind you. My wife traded up for the dreaded mini van. I must give it credit though as it is quite the functional little vehicle. Not to worry, I still have my full size truck! The modification shown below was just an image of my desire for the Phoenix freeways!

Attachments

• Bird modification low res.jpg
    Bird modification low res.jpg
    51 KB · Views: 36

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
TrainNut said:
Sorry, I meant to post back to this subject but forgot about it until now when I was going back looking for something else. Reason I asked about the Firebird is 'cause we had one and really loved it... 'till the family came along. Ever try to put a car seat in the back seat of one of those things? Sure the doors are 6' long and the car seat does fit (barely), but without any room for little legs. Sooo, every time the little one wants to stretch or kick those legs around, you feel it right behind you. My wife traded up for the dreaded mini van. I must give it credit though as it is quite the functional little vehicle. Not to worry, I still have my full size truck! The modification shown below was just an image of my desire for the Phoenix freeways!

Nice car. I know what you mean about the lack of room in the back seat. My back seat stays folded down and I may remove it entirely when I redo the interior. I waited to get the car until after my kids grew up and I didn't need the back seat amymore. I think if I had a family, I would look very closely at the Dodge Charger or Magnum, to get a high performance sedan with a back seat and decent access.