IKEA benchwork

spinwing

Nov 30, 2007
Newcastle, ON
This is my best guess for a forum to post this on.

I have a fairly large area ( 14' x 24' ) in the basement of a new home and will be starting new layout from scratch. Have some rolling stock. Disadvantage is that I cannot get a 4 x 8 sheet around the corner to the stairwell. A sheet ripped in half either way will work.

Question: Has anyone used or considered using the IKEA Ivar or Grom product as the base benchwork.

My preference would be Ivar. The 124 cm height is approx 48" to which an L girder layout can be added giving stability to the top. Leveling screws would probably be needed. An advantage is that shelving, etc. is available.

Your comments are appreciated.

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
I used IVAR as a base for my layout. I used the middling height uprights and the appropriate shelves to make bookcases, the made pairs of L-girders to go over the top and carried on from there. The layout could be removed from the shelving if I needed to, except that it's really fastened together. I used IVAR because it gave me better looking supports than I could make myself in the same time.
Negatives: It's too high. While not quite eye-level, I'm 6 feet and it comes to my underarm. I hit things when I reach across.
Difficulty changing levels. I have a very flat layout, although that may be more me.
Limited length options. I had to make some custom shelves -- 2 sections where I have 1x12 planks supported with cleats screwed on (not the way Ivar was intended. :mrgreen: )
You're probably thinking of building on the actual Ivar shelves. That should work.
Make sure that you start with a level floor or add some sort of leveling device to the legs.

spinwing

Nov 30, 2007
Newcastle, ON
Thanks for your reply.

I am 6'6" so the negative might not be too bad.

I will use the sort of screw levellers that Ikea uses for their kitchen cabinets.

I plan to use the "X" braces for at least every second unit and have a layer of sheling along the bottom with one or two layers above that as required.

Probably will use 1 x 2 around various parts of the top to support open trackwork. Foam or chicken wire for scenic support. Low rolling hills of souther Ontario should be pretty light.

Thanks again.

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
I had thought about using some sort of shelving to elevate my layout off the floor. I am going with the home built method. The shelving units seemed more expensive the building it myself, plus Home Depot is closer than Ikea.

I would love to see pictures of your shelving once it is done!

spinwing

Nov 30, 2007
Newcastle, ON
I pass at least two Home Depots to get to Ikea but I am in the city often and it would not invole a special run.

DIY is a factor but so is the mess and the time. I was just looking for an option so now I will put some numbers to it.

I didn't expect to start this until October but, with all of the rain we have had, sailing is just about a loss this year. Racing was rained / "lightninged" out tonight.

I will post the results.

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
If the 4 foot height is too high for you, Ikea also sells the Ivar pine shelving with 3 foot tall supports. You could also cut the length down a bit on the legs. If all of the legs are cut to the same length, you could set the layout at any height.

platypus1217

Feb 27, 2007
platypus1217.blogspot.com
I finished my platform legs. It took me a second trip to Home Depot though. I had to get more wood to make the diagonal bracing; the layout was a bit wobbly with only the horizontal and vertical pieces.

I see what you mean about the height. I am a little over 6 ft and the layout is about 4 ft off the ground. When I reach over my sleeve just brushes the tops of the building.

Attachments

• legs.jpg
    legs.jpg
    88.8 KB · Views: 21

sgtcarl

Jan 11, 2008
in Appalachian Mtns of S.W. Virginia
laying it all down

Well, I know I'm a cheapskate, but I plan to use old doors for my top surfaces. If you have a "Habitat for Humanity" Store nearby, you can always pick up some used hollowcore doors for a couple of bucks, each. I have a bunch of old bi-fold closet doors that I plan to use. They are light weight and fairly sturdy. Since bi-fold closet type doors are narrower than regular doors, you have a choice as to how wide to make your layout, and still be able to use what's available. (I hope that made sense.) :confused::confused::confused: