IHC Camelback Problems

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Last night I was running one my IHC 2-6-0 camelbacks with a short train of five 40’ boxcars and a caboose. Each boxcar weighs the NRMA recommended 4 ounces and the caboose is 3 ½ ounces. At first the locomotive performed flawlessly. Then suddenly it began to stutter and have difficultly pulling the train. The layout is level. There are no grades. After a few moments the locomotive stopped completely. There was no hum from the motor. With some coaxing I could get it to run for a short distance.

I removed the cars form the locomotive and it ran with some stuttering but then it ran fine. At this point I cleaned the track and the locomotive wheels. I placed the locomotive at the front of the train. For two laps all was fine but then the locomotive started stuttering again. Halfway through the fourth lap it stopped.

I am now thinking something is up with the cars in the train. I remove them and the loco runs fine. I begin adding the cars one at a time. One car fine, two cars everything is still OK. I add the third car and the loco starts having difficulties. I remove the third car and replace it with another with the same result. When I add the fourth car the loco stops.

I then bring out my other IHC 2-6-0 camelback thinking that it maybe a problem with the models. I hook up the 6 car train and the second locomotive has no problems. I run it around the layout about 20 times with no noticeable loss of power.

After racking my brain for a while I notice that the box that the locomotive was stored in has some damage to it that I had not noticed before. I am beginning to wonder if it was dropped or knocked off the layout. I examine the locomotive and cannot see any signs of damage.

From what I can tell the drivers are in quarter. When the locomotive is running fine there is no shaking or swaying. When it starts to stutter the headlight dims and brightens accordingly.

Any suggestions as to what to check next.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If the stuttering is in sync with the headlight problem, I would suggest that a check of all electrical connections (screws, soldered joints) is in order. I had a stereo fail the other day due to a "cold" soldered joint that finally gave out - shop fixed it in about 2 minutes, but it cost $75 to find it! :rolleyes:

Andrew

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks guys!

David
I'll check on the tender. I think it may have tender pick-ups but I am not sure if they are working or were intended to work. They didn't seem to be when I was cleaning the wheels. Thed rivers would only run when they were in contact with the rails.

Pooh Bah
Tom: I didn't say that right! I meant the connection between the loco and tender. I had one that only worked in reverse because, I think, the wire inside the insulation was broken. Might be a connection on the drawbar.

TomPM

Another Fried Egg Fan
Thanks everyone for the suggestions.

Here is what I have tried so far:

Checked the gears for too much or too little lubrication. Found neither although I cleaned them and lubricated them.

Check all the electrical connections and can find no loose connections. I had one suspect. There is a weight in the rear of the locomotive. It seems to press on one of the connections. I tried the locomotive without the weight.

None of these things seem to help. The motor is not getting warm or hot.

Now for the odd thing. I ran the locomotive with the body partially off. The way the body sat reminded me of a funny car. The locomotive ran fine. It even pulled a train consisting of one 40’ boxcar (4 oz), four 50’ cars (5 oz each) and a caboose (3 ½ oz) with no problems. I reattach the body and it dies.

BTW I am strictly DC.

MasonJar

It's not rocket surgery
If you only get the problem when reattaching the body, my bet is on a connection that gets pinched or pressed by the body, but appears fine when you inspect it with the body off. These are very tough to find. I know, 'cuz it happened to me :( on an old IHC/Mehano Pacific. What finally gave it away was a slight flattening of the insulation on one of the wires. I replaced it, and rerouted it, and everything is good now.

Andrew