Ideas Please

As it stands now, the plan is to have the entire room lit with flourescent blackights when the layout is complete and operational, but regular flourescents when it is not in use.

viperman

I like my idea for the rotting away hearst so much, I think I'm actually going to use that in my own HO layout. Darn I'm good.

As for everyone else, I've read some really cool ideas. Makes me want to build my own spooky layout. On a side note, I've been wanting to put a castle on top of a hill/mountain for a while now, and I've actually seen some castle ruins on ebay that would look awesome. Maybe look into that and have it be haunted too?

Thanks to one and all for all of the really great ideas that you guys have posted! My benchwork will be completed this weekend, with the help of some friends, then the fun begins! I've pretty much figured out where everything's gonna go, but I've just had another brainstorm. What if I put in a beach along one side of the layout? Then I could put a "Loch Ness Monster" type of creature offshore, and possibly a pirate ship. If I painted it with luminous paint, it could be the "Flying Dutchman"! If anyone knows where I could find a small enough model for the ship, it would be very much appreciated!

Sounds like a fun layout. Post some pics as you go to let us see how its coming along.
One more idea, how 'bout installing sound with several speakers hidden in the scenery around the layout so you can hear the ghost train come and go without seeing it.
Doc

Pretty good idea. I was planning to put in some sound effects. Maybe I could find some way of simulating the sound of a train wreck too!

Mike Hamer

Speaking of sound, the kids in my class love when I play "The Monster Mash" at Halloween time. Why not have this song playing (very low) on and endless tape through a speaker under the graveyard or from inside a laboratory building on your layout. If it's a more adult audience, why not a selection from the soundtrack of Rocky Horror Picture Show? Hmmm...you've given me an idea for my next model railroad project at my school where I teach. Cheers, Mike Hamer (grinning)

Actually, that's basically what I had in mind, except this layout is going to be my way of not taking the moniker of "Agent Mulder" too seriously. I plan to play the theme from "The X-Files" in the background.

brakie

cidchase said:
???
Well, I could be wrong, but I believe that ,when "paranormal researchers" can successfully
and objectively formulate and test rational hypotheses, employ the scientific method in
their investigations (i.e., put aside their preconceived notions and prejudices), and achieve
some semblance of reproducible results, obtaining data using quantifiable units, then
"mainstream science" would be only too happy to accept their findings and to support
and extend their research. It's unnecessary to be a "professional" scientist, or to have extensive resources, to advance scientific knowledge.
Exactly. Trains, anyone?

Cid,When you have a coffee cup thrown at YOU and you're the only person in the room that is FACT..When a fellow investigator feel a shove from behind before falling down the stairs thats a fact.Yet main stream science says its a illusion and easy cause by trickery..However..Who in their RIGHT mind would fall down a flight of stairs? Who would break a coffee cup that doesn't belong to them just to prove a point?
No science has a lot to learn.First thing they should learn is stop calling people lairs..That just might give scientist more credit.

Back to trains.

Thank you Larry!!!! There is no way that I could have thrown myself twenty feet across a room either, and yet, even though that is a fact,(I have a sworn affidavit from the witness, and video to back it up), when these are presented to the "Scientific Community", the result is the usual derision, and character assisination. The guys with the Ph.D's have got to get their heads out of their collective rear ends and take a good, long, hard, and sober look at the years and years of EVIDENCE that people like us have presented them with.

NH 2525

If you are using black light during operating sessions, you may want to try lightning effects with sound. A simple color organ hooked up to some track lighting or strobe lights will give you very realistic lightning storm effects. Here's one I use for the haunted hayride and haunted barn my Lion's Club puts on. It will handle up to 500 watts of lighting. Enough to do your whole layout. The lightning flashes in a pattern that is in sync. with the sound of thunder from whatever soundtrack you play. There are thunder tracks on the CD, but you can also find some great ones online. Look for one that has the same sounds on both stereo channels, but offset by about a second or two. connect the unit to the speaker output that plays the sound first, and hook your speaker up to the other output. That will give you a very realistic flash of lightning that corresponds to the following rumble of thunder. I am happy with this unit, especially at this price.

http://www.frightcatalog.com/Halloween-Special+Effects/Optical+Illusions/Lighting+FX-1408006/

1408006.jpg

Eric