Ideas anyone?

Discussion in 'General Card Modeling' started by Nykkman, Oct 15, 2006.

1. Gil

Gil Active Member

2. Gil

Gil Active Member

3. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I've built many of the trout models mentioned above. They're great models. I have also for the last several years conducted a short class on card modeling for my 8th-grade students. One thing I've learned is NEVER overestimate the cutting and gluing skills of your students! What seems perfectly straightforward to an adult (e.g. cut here, score there, fold here) can be mindboggling to a youngster. Very simple models are definitely in order. In fact, every year I've done this class I've taken the first-time models down a notch in complexity. Good luck with your group!

Regards,
  4. cdcoyle

cdcoyle Member

I've built many of the trout models mentioned above. They're great models. I have also for the last several years conducted a short class on card modeling for my 8th-grade students. One thing I've learned is NEVER overestimate the cutting and gluing skills of your students! What seems perfectly straightforward to an adult (e.g. cut here, score there, fold here) can be mindboggling to a youngster. Very simple models are definitely in order. In fact, every year I've done this class I've taken the first-time models down a notch in complexity. Good luck with your group!

Regards,
  5. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Nykkman,

The Fiddlers Green freebies will generally fit on a single A4 Sheet, and are not too difficult. The Piper Cub is a good starter.

Rick
  6. Rick Thomson

Rick Thomson Member

Hi Nykkman,

The Fiddlers Green freebies will generally fit on a single A4 Sheet, and are not too difficult. The Piper Cub is a good starter.

Rick
  7. silverw

silverw Member

minimize costs

Hi Nyk...

You mentioned costs.... Many models get pretty specific about kinds of paper and glue etc. (Sometimes, it's not that important) If you are in a school, you probably have a good selection of suitable material lurking in unsuspecting places. (Cereal boxes). I salvage packing cardboard from work. It comes between rolls of printer paper, about .5 mm thick. Makes great "heavy card". Laminated to get even thicker material when required.

I buy white glue (wood glue from a hardware store) in a gallon jug. Much cheaper than many little bottles.

There are countless places to get useful materials .... and TOOLS, BTW!

Have fun, and Good Luck!

.... Bill
  8. silverw

silverw Member

minimize costs

Hi Nyk...

You mentioned costs.... Many models get pretty specific about kinds of paper and glue etc. (Sometimes, it's not that important) If you are in a school, you probably have a good selection of suitable material lurking in unsuspecting places. (Cereal boxes). I salvage packing cardboard from work. It comes between rolls of printer paper, about .5 mm thick. Makes great "heavy card". Laminated to get even thicker material when required.

I buy white glue (wood glue from a hardware store) in a gallon jug. Much cheaper than many little bottles.

There are countless places to get useful materials .... and TOOLS, BTW!

Have fun, and Good Luck!

.... Bill