Ideal train room help.

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
Hi. I gutted the exterior garage, insulated, added drywall, some recessed lighting (blue flood) on a dimmer. The room is 12 x 21', but needs to be used for lawn mower, 10 spd bike, pool supplies and garden tools too. I am starting to tape and joint compound the walls, but wanted some input on how you would make this an ideal train room. I had a friend that made his basement took like an old station.(pic) I have some great B&W framed photos, and a little railroad memorabilia. Any input is great before I get too far. Layout is being built in 2' x 4' modules. Total would be 12' x 12' around walls.

Attachments

• 100_0850.jpg
    100_0850.jpg
    146.9 KB · Views: 10

csxengineer

May 16, 2003
Pittsburgh, Pa
Visit site
coffee & beer?

I don't drink coffee, and I drank beer ONCE when I was 16, puked, and never touched it again.
sign1

Should I paint the walls light blue? or would it look like a new baby boy's room?

Nomad

Sep 26, 2006
Elks Plain, Washington
Actually, i am glad you started this thread. Thank you.
I will be building a layout room in my garage next summer and was wondering the same thing. My first thought was like yours, paint the walls blue with clouds. Now i can find out what other modelers do.

Loren

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I think the first thing I would do is build shelves to hold pool supplies, install hooks or racks to hold garden tools, put in the bike and lawn mower, and determine what the minimum comfortable space is needed for those things. Then install a wall with a door to separate the "garden storage" from the train room. Keeping your train room isolated from the storage clutter will make it much more pleasant to operate your trains. One thing to keep in mind is to put the door from outside into the storage area in line with the door to the train room and keep the resulting "hallway" clear so that as you build more 2 x 4 modules, they will be easy to carry into the train room and set up. This avoids the need to make any sharp turns from outside wherever the bench modules are cut to where they are set up. Screwing or nailing the modules together in the train room is probably ok, but I would suggest cutting the lumber in another location so you don't get masses of sawdust all over everything in the train room. I would suggest 30-36 inch doors for ease of access, but if you don't need to move completed modules in and out of the train room, you could get away with smaller doorways. Before you presume that you won't need to move completed modules in and out, keep in mind that you might want to take a module out into the sunlight for photography purposes. You might also need to move to another house someday and want to take the layout with you without having to demolish it to get it out of the house.