ideal hight...

NCMRailroad

Hi all,
Just about to fasten the first board to the wall for the beginning of my L-girder bench work. The top of the board measures 40inches from the floor. Is this sufficiant?
Rgd's
NCMRailroader

jetrock

A lot depends on your height. Many recommend breastbone height to have a good mix of access to the layout and good views without too much ducking. My own layout is a shelf layout at 48", but 40" allows a bit more reaching in from the layout edge and is a good height for viewing the layout while seated.

steamhead

Hi,

The question is, what is sufficient for you...?? Bench height should be determined by how you want to view & operate your trains. Do you like the "birds' eye-view" of your layout? Or would you prefer more of an eye-level perspective. Will you operate standing up most of the time, or will you have a high stool to sit on? Is your layout a single level, or will you have a two level (or more) layout? A higher level will limit how far you can reach over the layout, so a consideration regarding the depth of the layout needs to be taken into account....How tall are you and will you have guests operating on the layout as well?

You get the idea. You have to take into account a lot of things before you determine what the best height for YOUR layout is.

Good luck!!!

Gus (LC&P).

shaygetz

steamhead said:
The question is, what is sufficient for you...??
You get the idea. You have to take into account a lot of things before you determine what the best height for YOUR layout is.

Good luck!!!

Gus (LC&P).

For instance, I'm 6'2", my layout is at 48", I can just reach 30" into it comfortably.

eightyeightfan1

Now I'm AMP'd
Like mentioned above, its a matter of personel preference and comfort.
You can have it "eye level", but do you need a 6' step ladder to reach the back. And do you want to super detail the brake detail and frames of rolling stock because thats all you really see.
I have mine set at 42".

Pooh Bah
And other considerations. What's going under it? Mine is set on commercial shelf sets, so the height is fixed; we needed the storage space for books. I find it too high to work on, but it's eye-level for my wife. Her layout is about 18" high, on coffee table legs.

Russ Bellinis

table height will also be determined by what you want to do in terms of operation. If you want to railfan your trains, you may want the bench work a little bit higher. If you do more switching, you may want your bench height a little lower. It is really up to you. It is one of those things that you have to decide on. Nobody else can decide for you what is the ideal bench for you.