Idea! How about this...

Discussion in 'Getting Started' started by MilesWestern, Nov 10, 2006.

1. MilesWestern

MilesWestern Active Member

Why don't we all come together and write a review of new and old locomotives? Like the spotting thread, except with model locomotives! We could tell people about how well it performs and major likes/dislikes. It could be added on, with another member's loco or car and they could tell how much you like/dislike this kit/loco/car/vechicle?

We could make this in a new forum section "Product Review" ....how about it moderators?
  2. MilesWestern

I know there's a need for this type of thread too, we get a lot of questions about specific locomotives and kits, it would really benefit all of us, in truth. :)

What do you guys and gals think? :confused: :)
  3. MilesWestern

4. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

I like the idea, too. I would like it to see it include cars, both freight and passenger as well as scenic items. Wonder how many Gaugers know that at one time, Prieser hand carved all their figures out of basswood. Still looking for one of those for my population of LPBs. Or, what kind of memories do names like Max Gray, Ken Kidder, Red Ball, Suydam, Penn Line and Varney stir up? Gotta mini-museum on my shelves of old timey stuff...be kinda nice to have a place to share a little bit of it.
  5. alexander

alexander Member

I'll do the TYCO GP20 hahahahaha
  6. shaygetz

shaygetz Active Member

7. MilesWestern

IT was the forerunner to proto-specific details, look at the GM&O...the only design with ALCO trucks! (All the others have Blomberg)

WOOOOWWWW!! :rolleyes:

So, easydays? Ngauger? Spitfire? Whaddya think, new section?
  8. alexander

alexander Member

9. santafewillie

santafewillie Member

There's already a "Product Reviews" sub-forum in the Technical Q & A forum. It doesn't get a lot of use where it is. Maybe it could be promoted into a full forum.
  10. fsm1000

fsm1000 Member

I would like it on one condition. That it was somehow easy to find a specific article on a specific loco or product. Otherwise I can see it being to frustrating for old fogeys like me :(
    Otherwise I like the idea as others tend to have more money to spend oin things then I do and so I rely on thier product knowledge before I fork over my money.
    That's my 2 cents anyhow.
  11. MilesWestern

That was what I was thinking, like ONE article for say, "Bachmanns HO 2-8-0 Consolidation" and another for "Bachmann's HO USRA 4-8-2 mountain"...ect.
  12. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

Search function takes care of that.
  13. Russ Bellinis

Russ Bellinis Active Member

My problem with the search function is lack of any filtering or at least my lack of knowing how to use it effectively. If, for instance I wanted to find out what the consensus was on an Athearn gp40-2 locomotive and I try to use the search function, it will give me every single thread that has even one post in it somewhere with the word "Athearn". I've tried to use the search function a number of times, and I've given up. If I give it too much detail, and mispell one word, it will tell me there are no matches. If I don't give it enough detail, I will get pages and pages of threads to wade through. I've tried to use the search function on the Gauge as well as other forums I go to, and so far I've never been successful at finding anything useful from any search function anywhere on the web.
  14. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

15. Ralph

Ralph Remember...it's for fun!

Update: The Product Review sub forum is now out among the listings as one of its own.
    Thanks Mikey!
    Ralph
  16. Pitchwife

Pitchwife Dreamer

When you click on the Search function, click on the Advanced option in the drop down box. It will give you control over filters and help narrow down your search parameters.