ICM T-34/76 1941 Model

charliec

Model: T-34/76 1942 Model
Publisher: ICM Papermodelling
Scale: 1:50
Format: Free download http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~naka
Designer: Aki Naka

This model has been recently released (8 Aug 04) after a long development period. I was interested to see how this design compared to the PzKpfw IV (see earlier review).

The T-34 was probably the best tank of WW2. The design was both innovative and cheap to produce. See www.battlefield.ru for much more on the T-34.

The download is in two parts:
- Three page pdf with the model parts - the organisation and labelling of the parts sheets is really good.
- Three page instruction pdf which contains labelled plan views and 2 pages of low res images and diagrams.

The hull is modelled without an internal frame with 4 parts - the upper and lower hull and the 2 mudguards. It doesn't look too difficult but I can see getting the parts aligned without an internal frame might be quite tricky.
The turret is cleverly designed to not only capture the complex curves of the T-34 turret but also has a simple gun elevation mechanism which is unusual in this scale.

The T-34 used Christie suspension (swing arms and springs) - the swing arms are modelled quite convincingly. The roadwheels are modelled so that the 2 wheels on an axle are represented. Oddly both the idler or drive wheels are modelled as simple cylinders - to make the track fit the guide teeth must be cut off. The track design is quite clever and looks as though it will give a reasonable representation of the T-34 track without the complexity of the design used for the Panzer IVD.

The T-34 was a very clean design without the clutter of equipment on the hull top found in tanks of other armies of the period - this has been captured well in this model. It also makes the model much easier to build (imho)

The model is finished in a uniform green-brown colour with no unit markings - this was fairly typical of Red Army vehicles. I found it printed as a fairly dark brownish colour on a Canon i560. Purists might want to recolour the model greener and lighter.

Instructions: B
Paper quality: n/a
Level of detail: A
Printing quality: n/a
Artwork: B (weathering would be nice)
Value for money: A (can't beat free)
Skill level: Beginner to Intermediate

For images of the completed model I suggest: http://www.pluto.dti.ne.jp/~naka/photos.htm#T347641