I told them I'd do it!

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
Well all I've decided to give it a shot. I'm going to attemt a kitbash!:eek: I have decided to use an old Walthers HO North Island refinery for part of a madoern power plant that I'm building for my future (fingers crossed) layout. However, the power plant I'm basing my model on Is huge and boxy. What should I use for the boxy part? The refinery will be used for smokestacks etc.

C

Catt

How about using Evergreen's Metal siding and scratchbuild the whole building.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Well, since we seem to making everything else out of foam these days, how about making a huge, boxy foam block and covering it with the siding Catt mentioned? Might be easier to keep thing squared up.
BillK

roryglasgow

Jun 3, 2001
Huntsville, TX USA
web.wt.net
It's funny you should mention that, BillK. I was pondering the virtues of using foam insulation to build the mine for my layout. It would make a cardboard structure a little more durable...

-Rory

Pooh Bah
Mar 25, 2002
Brampton, Ontario, Canada
Visit site
Foam buildings

We went on a layout tour this month and on one layout there was a mockup of a freight shed made of layers of inch-thick insulation with a cardboard roof, painted a dark brown. I'd walked by it a few times before I saw the end of it and realized what it was.
Builder said that it hadn't been commented on that much.
There was another one on the layout as well.

C

Catt

Ya know somethin' BillK,I think your on to something here.I may just have to give it a go .:D

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
re?

whee would I aquire some of this foam and siding? I think the local building supply has faom, but what's the best kind to use for secnery and or building material?

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
For scenery, the general concensus seems to be to use the building supply stuff, comes in 4 X 8 sheets, anywhere from 1/2 to 2 in thick, and usually pink or blue depending on who made it.

For buildings, there might be better choices. I've seen some blocks of light green stuff at artsy-craftsy places, I think for flower arranging or something, that might work better than the ol' pink or blue. I recall you could get blocks maybe 4-6in on a side. At least it won't cost a lot to experiment!

The siding Catt mentioned is, I think, a pretty standard scratch-building material. Try a model RR-oriented hobby shop, the Walther's site
(http://www.walthers.com), etc., etc. Or try making your own out of thin cardboard or something ... again, it can be a pretty cheap way to experiment.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
I tend to view any kit as just a collection of parts that with a little imagination, will turn into something original...
I would LOVE to get my hands on one of those refinery kits!
Here's a chemical plant I kitbashed for my N scale layout...
The large tan-colored building is part of the Walthers Superior Paper Co. kit. I've made two decent sized factories out of this kit, & still have lots of leftovers.
This would be a great starting point for a power plant...There are TONS of detail parts with this thing!

Attachments

• mvc-016f.jpg
    mvc-016f.jpg
    64.4 KB · Views: 155

Matthyro

Will always be re-membered
Dec 28, 2000
Georgetown, Ontario,Canada
Thats a great addition to your layout Charlie. Nicely done.

In making larger buildings I have used wood, foam, masonite corrugated cardboard , left over plastic vertical blinds and MDF board.
Just about anything will do. Depends on what I have on hand.

CSXFan

Feb 25, 2002
ohio
Visit site
HO?

Charlie, is that chemical plant kitbashed form the Walthers HO Kraft mill? How's the railfanning in Louisville? I bet it's crowded there with the derby coming up this weekend.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Hi CSXFan!
The model in the picture is N scale...Like I mentioned, the large tan-colored building came from a Walthers Superior Paper Mill.
The metal building to the right came from Walthers New River Coal Mine kit, & the brick structure on the other side is made from DPM wall sections. The black incinerator is made from pievces of the coal mine floor, the 3 gray silos are little water vials from a flower shop, with legs from the coal mine kit, & the tanks came from both HO & N scale Walthers Interstate Fuel kits.
The railfanning is pretty good from my house...I can walk over to the local brick yard, & it's right where the double track main ends on the CSX main coming into Lou. from Cinn. There's a lot of lay0over action, waiting for trains to clear the main.
As far as the Derby...If it doesn't stop raining , the festivities this week are going to be rather damp.

BTW...The Derby's for out-of-towners...The Oaks is our race...that's the day before Derby.
But it still gives all of us an excuse to do a lot of eating & drinking for a couple of weeks! :D