I think we should petition Kalmbach...

Squidbait

Recovering ALCO-holic
... to re-issue Iain Rice's book "Small, Smart and Practical Track Plans". I recommended it to a friend, but he couldn't find a copy... I contacted Kalmbach, and it's out of print! And, they apparently have no plans to re-release it in the near future.

This is an excellent book with good ideas about small, manageable model railroads that aren't variations on the old, tired Atlas snap-track plans. They're designed for a good mix of scenery and operation, and I'd highly recommend it to anyone planning a small to small-room sized layout.

So whaddya say? Anyone on board with this idea?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
I think that they have a whole bundle of new books that probably use some of those plans, but you can put my name down anyway. Thats probably why they won't do that specific book again.

bob_suruncle

They have also discontinued Iain Rice's Midsize and manageable book which was excellent as well. I have both books in my library but I would love to be able to recomend them to new modellers as a great starting point that offers some realistic layout plans and not the spaghetti bowls that are so common.

lapuce033

How about.... PDF ???

Well I was wondering how much time a book which is out of print becomes public domain, if so or if we do have the permission can we just PDF it for the newbies??? Just a suggestion.

Terry

Torpedo

It has nothing to do with being out-of-print. Copyright lasts at least 95 years for works done for hire or by anonymous authors. For most recent written work, the copyright lasts until 70 years after the author's death. Ian Rice's work could fall into either category, depending on whether Kalmback hired him to write it or paid him royalties as an author. Most likely, he received royalties.

railohio

Or just look for a used copy at a swap meet or a giant auction site. Eventually you'll be able to find one.