I think i did it

SteveD

:thumb: Hey guys,

I have been busy designing differant layouts and i think i have came up with a winner (quick sketch anyhow) :D I have made the track go through the cupboard so that they dissappear from sight for a little while and added a access panel in there aswell. I would love to get your expert opinions please. I wanted two tracks so i can operate two trains at once. Still going for about 1940's with coal mining/industry setting.

BTW, what is the minimum distance between tracks that i need at both of the loops. The outer is 20in and the inner 18in?

Thanks again for your help guys
Steve

Attachments

• AWESOME1.jpg
    AWESOME1.jpg
    36.7 KB · Views: 168
With the outer radius 20 and the inner 18 the best you're going to get is 2" between track centers...unless you can pull them away from each other and then the distance is going to change gradually, but at some place along the curve it will still be 2".

It may sound too basic, please don't think I'm talking down to you here, but the only way to increase the distance between track centers and still maintain 'parallel' tracks is to increase the outer track radius (or decrease the inner, or both). If you can get away with it, a larger radius is usually more desirable.

Not sure if that helps you any...I guess you can get away with 2" separation. I've seen numbers written in books suggesting the minimum...in fact, just flipped past a quick article by Tony Koester in an MRP about track spacing. The prototype gets away with ridiculously close spacing because of the broad curves and well defined standards. In modeling, it depends mostly on the equipment you'll be running and the overhang it makes, and if you'll ever have two trains passing each other in those tight locations.

As for your plan...looks pretty cool. Will the loops be on the same level in front of the area you have marked 'tunnel'? And I know this is just a sketch, but tell us about what sort of staging, if any, you plan to have and/or yards/sidings?

Galen

Pooh Bah
Steve: you seem to have two separate loops with no connections. One of them is high enough to pass ever the other. You're going to need some very steep scenery to do that in a 2" (51mm) separation.
What's going to happen with the bit on the left that says "400"? the tail tracks look a little short to be good for anything.

SteveD

Hello All, thanks for all your comments. After much thought i am going to try and make the outer loops 22in and the inner 20in, this should let me run any type of loco. I guess i will just have to put an access hatch somewhere in the top right loop section just in case something happens.

Galen, yes the loops will be level on that top section, just a little curve for asthetics. Not to sure as yet to regards with staging and what not but i am very much open for suggestions, I need all the help i can get, haha.

David, i will add connections later this was just a quick sketch to see if it will work. I was thinking a bridge, dunno? Any ideas :) The bit on the right (where is says 400) i just threw in, i would love to have a coal mind there or some sort of industry but i need to add some more lengh.

Cheers
Steve

SteveD

Hey guys, i have changed all the radi to 22 & 20in. I have done the main lines now although i need some help with the inner part of the layout (all the parts in red). What could i put in there, sidings, industries, town, turntable.........?

Attachments

• AWESOME22.jpg
    AWESOME22.jpg
    50.4 KB · Views: 110

SteveD

And here is a fresh layout with no crap all over it :D

If anyone can add that would be great!

:thumb:

Attachments

• plain22.jpg
    plain22.jpg
    33.6 KB · Views: 112

Triplex

Your turnouts appear to be continuous-curve-meets-tangent, or even two continuous curves coming together. Most commercial turnouts don't have that geometry.