I Survived the Hurricane

Hello everyone. I evacuated the 3300 block of Burgundy St in New Orleans on Sunday, Aug 28th and headed to a family friends house in Mobile, AL. I took with me my neighbors acorss the street. We traveled in two Jeeps and a 30 year old VW. Loaded with 4 people and 5 cats and 2 dogs we took basicly only few provisions.

All our neighbors did also leave that day as well. The Vallerie next door who was recovering from a liver transplant, her husband and her mother; Jackie the widow black woman and her twin teenage daughters; John and Gary across the street; the neighborhood beloved old cuban man, Aldo his wife and brother. Eslie, Aldo's wife walked to each of our houses and performed a blessing with burned palm ashes to protect against storms. Everyone was emotional as we exchanged our good-byes, no knowing when we will be neighbors again. While we were always neighbors, that Sunday morining we all knew that we were now more than just neighbors.

Now we are all in diaspora, myself and a friend staying in Chicago at his sister's house. In Alabama trying to get aid from the Red Cross was impossiable. Of the four displaced I was the only one that received the $2000 FEMA money for immidate needs. I made a personal plea to frined around the country for fincial help for us and the response was overwelming. Donations from friends of friends poured in. Most of my family members who live in the western part of New Orleans evacuated west. It was days later that I got word that my Mother, sisters and grown sons and former wife were safe in Texas. They all said that Texas has gone out of their way to help them all. That was a worry off my mind. I was happy to hear that they were getting help from the government there. After year's of always contributing to aid others it is humbeling to be on the receiving end. It is something for me and my family that we had to get used.

I have no idea what to expect at my house. Reports are that my sister's townhouse lost its roof. My mother's house received little damage, only covered in trees. My former wife's house only a roof leak but the wood floors are gone. My son, in his first appartment went back and removed everything but his bed and sofa. I think he will stay in Texas. Other two sisters, I think lost all to the flood water. My house on the airial photos looks to not been flooded and maybe little wind damge, but reports of looting in the area is chilling. I susspect that the roof leaked and there is rain damage. The Bywater Railroad is, was, in the attic loft.

My outbuilding that I did build to house my shop and garden tools with its red tin roof is clear in the airial photos, I guess I know how to build things.

Looking for better days ahead......

shaygetz

May 2, 2003
www.freewebs.com
Bywaterrailroad said:
My outbuilding that I did build to house my shop and garden tools with its red tin roof is clear in the airial photos, I guess I know how to build things.

Looking for better days ahead......

That's the Spirit :thumb:

Still Thrivin' after Ivan...and Arlene...and Cindy...and Dennis...and Katrina...and :eek: Glad to hear all are well. Blessings, BC

RailRon

Nov 23, 2002
Trimbach, Switzerland
It's great to hear that you and your family are safe and (relatively) well.

It must be agonizing not to know what exactly happened to you your house and how it looks inside. My best wishes for you that the damages aren't as bad as expected. I admire your courage and wish you and your family lots of optimism and luck.

Ron

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Thank you for taking the time to share this with us. We all see the pictures on the news, but they say that you have to be there to get the full impact of what happened. Everyone affected by this devistation is in our prayers. It appears that they are going to start letting people back, we hope that when you do get to go back, that recovery will be easy for you and your neighbors.

ausien

Sep 14, 2004
Sydney, Austrailia
Glad to here you and your family are safe, and resonably well.
a journy of a thousand miles starts with a single step, recovery from a disaster starts with a sigh, and a phuw, I made it.... good luck in the rebuliding of your life and neibourhood... steve