I saw a Caboose!

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I was doing a job in Corona, Ca. and had to make a run to San Bernardino for some personal business. The freeway runs parrallel to the BNSF main from Cajon pass through Riverside & Corona to the Santa Ana Canyon. Anyway, I saw a short train on the BNSF, 2 gp units on the point with about 6 cars and a CABOOSE. It was running in reverse on the BNSF main, and may have had the caboose in place because the locomotives were doing a backing move at speed on the mainline, but I didn't even know they had any cabooses left! The caboose was in Santa Fe colors, no mention of BNSF that I could see on it.

Play-Doh

May 12, 2006
Portland OR
I saw an old rickety yellow UP caboose being pulled out the other day...looked like it had been tucked away for ages....I wanted to stop and take pics but the girlfriend was driving so noooooooooo! pfft. LOL

ezdays

Out AZ way
Feb 3, 2003
Arizona
bigbluetrains.com
Yeah, I saw one too a while back here on US60 between Surprise and Wickenburg. It was in a MOW, and it was modified with some sort of tank added, but you could still tell what it used to be. The next time I came by a MOW crew and had a camera, of course, they didn't have the caboose that time.:cry:

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
I had also posted this caboose sighting on the So California Railfan Forum, and some of the guys there gave a listing of trains still running around So Cal with cabooses. The one I saw was probably the Corona local, that is certainly the direction it was heading. I guess the reason they still run cabooses on some locals is that they are fairly long runs and so the conductor and brakeman have a place to ride instead of hanging off a car for a long distance.

TruckLover

Mack CH613 & 53' Trailer
Apr 14, 2006
Rancho Santa Margarita, Cali.
I have also seen the caboose just outside of Riverside and Corona. It went passed Yorba Linda towards the Cajon Pass. I could not believe it when I saw it. It was a while back, probly 4 or 5 months ago. Maybe they just keep moving it to differant museums??

NSES44DC

Jun 24, 2006
Amherst Ohio
Theres two or three in my area. Two old beat up ex-N&W now NS ones at the yard in sheffield and then a nice Chessie one being used by CSX from Lorain to Elyria on what i call the steel route cause it comes from our steel mill's yard.

I have also seen a caboose on the CSX mainline. I have even posted the picture here on The Gauge!:thumb: I live about 300 feet from the mainline that runs between Knoxville and Chattaganooga, Tennessee. I have also seen the caboose going backwards as the lead car!:D With all the work a conductor has to do, maybe they brought it back!:) An office on wheels, PC, Cell, Bed, wounldn't that be nice!sign1

Andy:wave: