I Picked Trash Now I am in The Doghouse

Bill Pontin

Oct 14, 2001
Milford, CT
Visit site
Working on my NTrak modules I needed some pieces of 2" foam to build up my mountains. The thought of spending $9.00 on a new 2 x 8 sheet, only to cut up in little pieces, went against my frugalness. (Cheapness) There was a construction sight that was using 2" foam for insulation on concrete foundations they were pouring. All it took was asking permissions to cruise the grounds for their scraps. Strange how picky we become even when it's free. Humm, nice big piece, aw, no good, someone stepped on it or splashed some concrete all over it. I came away with enough to do a dozen module mountains. Humm, now where to store it?

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
You might want to point out to Wifey how much money you saved, while at the same time preventing this type of material going to a landfill, an ecological no-no. Last week I picked up two 1"x2'x8' sheets of extruded foam, for my ongoing house reno project, at a nearby lumberyard, at a cost of $22.00 per sheet. Where did you say this house was?:D At least I've finally decided to not use extruded foam sheets for my upcoming second-level layout extension! Sheesh! (Maybe burl walnut, with ivory inlays.:rolleyes: )

Wayne

RobertInOntario

Mar 22, 2006
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
doctorwayne said:
You might want to point out to Wifey how much money you saved, while at the same time preventing this type of material going to a landfill, an ecological no-no. Last week I picked up two 1"x2'x8' sheets of extruded foam, for my ongoing house reno project, at a nearby lumberyard, at a cost of $22.00 per sheet. Where did you say this house was?:D At least I've finally decided to not use extruded foam sheets for my upcoming second-level layout extension! Sheesh! (Maybe burl walnut, with ivory inlays.:rolleyes: )

Wayne

Yes, and if I help myself to any neat curb-side stuff here in Toronto, I just might be doing the folks in St. Thomas a favour! Rob

doctorwayne

Sep 6, 2005
Canada, eh?
Yeah, I just saw David Miller on tv saying that T.O. had solved its garbage problem. I guess if you can't see it, it's not a problem.:curse:

Wayne