I Now Have Money!!!

65GASSER

Jun 12, 2006
Malvern, AR
I love Blue Box Athearn locos! Good price and there are tons of detail parts you can add as you go! Also I am envious of the 2 car garage to use.

Runs With Bears

Dec 23, 2006
Massachusetts
I dont know if this will help since you already ordered your books, but a great one too look into for scenery is the "How to build Model Railroad Scenery" from Model Railroader Books published by Kalmbach Books and written by Dave Frary. It is very extensive and I have almost lived by it for my modeling:D It is a bit pricey however at around $25 but well worth it:thumb: It very thorough and provides nice step by step tutorials and it is very helpful for first time modelers.

Hope this helps and happy modeling :wave:

Midnight

Oct 15, 2006
SC
tmu.lilting.org
Well, Gasser, it turns out that I'm not going to be using that. In the summer, it gets to be up to 115 degrees in there. Everything would begin to melt. :\ That wouldn't be good.

~Midnight

Russ Bellinis

Feb 13, 2003
Lakewood, Ca.
Visit site
My brother had some trains stored in a metal shed in Riverside, Ca. The temps in Riverside get to 100 degrees or better in the summer. I don't know what his solar gain was inside the shed. The models didn't melt down, but they did warp not only plastic, but zamac castings also warped!

trainsets

Jan 6, 2007
Russ Bellinis said:
I just looked at your link to "Train Sets Only" at Amazon, you don't want any of their electric train sets in ho scale. Whether Lifelike or Bachmann, the EZ Trak and Powr-Lok tracks that come with those sets is all steel. There is no indication of anything in nickel-silver on at tleast the first 3 pages of stuff I looked at. Steel track is the worst thing you can get. If you get steel, expect to spend 3 hours cleaning off corrosion for every 1 hour you get to run your trains. If there is a local hobby shop near you that has a train dept., you should go and see if there is someone knowledgeable there to help you out. In my opinion buying on line is ok if you know what you are ordering, but too many people selling trains on line, are totally ignorant about what constitutes a good train set. They are buying as cheap as possible to try to sell for a profit. Cheap is often more expensive in the long run by the time you spend the money needed to get it to actually function.

I would agree that most sets do come with the cheaper track. However, Train Sets Only does sell HO sets that include NS track. The Bachmann Spectrum line includes NS as do some sets by Walthers, the Life-Like Proto series sets, and without double-checking, I believe the Athearn sets do as well. These sets typically come with better locos and rolling stock.

If you were looking on Amazon, sorted by price, you were probably seeing the cheap sets first. They typically do come with steel track.

Give us a call during normal business hours or email us and we can help you select either a set or individual components. While we're obviously in business to make a profit (who isn't), we're not ignorant about what we sell and are frequently praised for the help we provide.

Paul
Train Sets Only
http://www.trainsetsonly.com

Midnight

Oct 15, 2006
SC
tmu.lilting.org
Well, on Monday, we are going to the Train Shop on Monday. I've found a guy at school who has model trains. He says the one that we are going to has really good quality for a really low price. He found an Athearn loco for $45. One of the good ones...

~Midnight