I need tinker toy parts, can you help?

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va

icon1.gif
WTB Tinker toy pieces
wave.gif
I need some tinker toy parts...a couple of round pieces and some shafts for a saw mill I am making.

Can anyone help me out?

The idea is to use them for pulleys and heat a hack saw blade and bend it to fit over them like a band saw.

sfarme321@aol.com

Iwill pay postage and what ever you think is reasonable.

Tileguy

Apr 28, 2003
Northern Mn
Visit site
Gil, a blade from a small Bandsaw clipped to size might be easier than trying to heat and form a hacksaw blade.Ussually easy to get if you know any woodworking type guys.
Wood woring guys never seem to throw away anything even if it would never be usable again it gets hung on a peg :)

The smaller and thinner blades would likely be easier to work with .
Perhaps a cabinet shop or machine shop would also have an old one and if you knew the length you needed they may even be able to cut it and weld it in a few seconds (Many larger machines have built in blade welders)

Pullys can be salvaged out of many old pieces of electronics equipment as can many differant gears etc.Video cassette players etc can often be gotten free at garage sales or sometimes at electronics repair shops.Lots of goodies can be had inside them cases.
While checking garage sales dont forget to check the old jewelry. For 25 to 50 cents you may find some good scale chain which you'll need hanging around here and there.( I managed to get about 40' of chain in 4 different sizes for a couple bucks one day)
Much cheaper than 2.00 a foot at the hobby shop and a variety of link sizes can be had :)

I'd love to see pictures as you build your mill as I have a similar project in my future for an On30 layout. :)

Will you be working from Plans??

Gil Finn

Aug 28, 2005
Bergoo W Va
Great ideas, I will file them and email you when I get it under way.

First I am starting a coal tipple, that will be easier.

No plans, will look at some phots and just go to work.

silver

Sep 1, 2004
Reciprocating Jig saw blades I think are more what you are looking for. They are smaller and closer to scale. They carry them at most good hardware stores they are cheaper partly because they do break often because of thier size. I would think that a wood worker knows when it is time to through out a blade and not keep them around. Dull blade are worse than useless.

As far as Tinker Toy parts. Toys Are Us carries new sets in the building toy area. Hope this helps.

Doc Holliday

Oct 27, 2002
Big Valley, California
You might want to look for a coping saw blade. They're about the same size (thickness, width, tooth size) as a scroll saw, but longer. You might also check second hand or thrift shops for tinker toys. They often get bagged with other misc. small toys and sold for pocket change.
Doc