I Need Some Ideas for my Layout

Elite Lancer

OK my layout is really starting to get annoying to make with my limited space. Here's what I'm shooting for:

- N scale
- Table is going to be like the size of a door
- Loop circuit with a pick-up point and a drop-off point
- Mountainous terrain
- Must have a roundhouse
- A good multitude of elevations of track.
- Tunnels

Here's my last attempt at my layout to give you an idea of how I want it. I obviously can't use this layout since it is too big and hard to add in changes. Like what someone said, it seems more fit for a trolly to let peolpe tour the mountains.

Mytrainlayout2.jpg

I look forward to your feedback. :)

pgandw

John

An excellent response! Didn't realize at first it was 2 separate loops - even more train running fun.

yours in planning

Elite Lancer

Wow, that is definately one that I'll consider. I'm trying to make my layout original so that definately gives me some ideas.

Elite Lancer

Yeah, I'm stilll trying to plan this layout, but it is just so hard to do with such limited space when I have so many things I want to put into it. I'm pretty sure many of you can relate to this sort of problem. I'm thinking about just designing a vague version of my dream layout and then try to "shrink it." Or something like that. We'll see how it goes. For now, I have an annoying english essay I have to finish.

Triplex

Take a look at this thread about the basics of planning:

http://www.the-gauge.com/showthread.php?t=19575

There are several
wink.gif
questions there, but it may help you focus on what you *really* want to do.
That thread focuses on operation-oriented design. That's the way John Armstrong did it, that's the way I do it, but that's not what Lancer asked for.

I am of the opinion that a layout designed purely for scenery and appearance gets boring, but maybe that's not a problem if you never intend to "operate".

What size door? 30" x 78" like on Mike Fischer's page? I think the largest door you can usually get is 36" x 80".