I need pictures of D&RGW "Big Hook"

Hello Gaugers.

A friend of mine have for sale real cheap a nice crane made by Roco like this (well, theirs is all-black, but its the same model). :D

I know that the Rio Grande had a 250-Ton Bucyrus "Big Hook" very similar to the Roco model, and it came to my mind that I could easily re-wamp this model for mimic the D&RGW prototype (the boom car is not USA-style, but it can be replaced). :D

The issue is that I don't have any picture of the D&RGW derrick. All I know is that it was the #028, and was made by Bucyrus of Erie.

If any of you have some picture of the D&RGW "Big Hook", or know where can I find one, I will be grateful. :)

Thanks!

Attachments

• Grua_D&RGW #028.jpg
    Grua_D&RGW #028.jpg
    45.8 KB · Views: 130

Hi Jon, THANKS!!!

Is a perfect-match! It's fantastic! (BTW, I feel a bit clumsy: I have searched EVERYWHERE pictures of this d**n crane). :eek:ops: :rolleyes:

Well, well, well. :D
IF both sides are the same, I should re-work the doors and little more. A paint job, some decals, and presto! :p

UAHUAHUAH!!! I'm happy!!! :D :D :D :D

Many thanks, my friend! :thumb:

jon-monon

You are most welcome Javier! I almost overlooked it myself, in fact was just getting ready to say here are some similar ones and link the fallen flags site. So don't feel clumsy unless you drop the model on the floor :D :D :D I don't know how well these come up on google. I try google when I'm looking for a particular proto and also search http://www.northeast.railfan.net/ and http://www.rr-fallenflags.org/ using their menus and built in searches.

RioGrande

I just looked through all the maintentence equipment in Jim Eagers Rio Grande Color Guide to Freight and Passenger Equipment, and it appears that the Roco model doesn't match any of the "hooks" shown. The 028 Big Hook is about the closest although if you look at the window layout etc and the side details, you can see it is a different hook.

That said, the Roco model makes a decent stand-in. I have a lot of "stand-in's" myself. :)

Hi, RioGrande.

You're right, the Roco crane is not so-perfect match to the #028. The window layout is the most apparent difference (there are others also: the trucks with friction bearing in the prototype and roller bearings in the model, the chimney, the rear cab ladders, ...).

Initially, I supposed that I could re-work the windows, but it's not possible to do that, because the right side windows are used to insert the levering keys. The other things (chimney and rear ladders) can be easily added, however. ;)

I plan to cut the european buffers and adapt Kadees #31 or #32. Now I'm having a bad time trying to imagine how dismount the cab from the frame (without breaking this thing to pieces, of course!) :rolleyes:

If the "surgery" is successful (and the patient survives), I will let you all know. :D

Thanks RioGrande (or should I call you jimfitch? ;) )

Just now the link to MOW Equipment is unavailable, but I will try it later.

RioGrande said:
Do I know you from Atlas? Perhaps by another name also?

Nope, Sir!! :D

...but I have been a long time "lurker" in the Atlas forum, were I followed the threads&posts of D&RGW fans. ;)

(BTW, you have changed the nick, but still have the same signature that in Atlas forum)