I need parts for a Rivarossi 0-8-0 Yard Goat

Does anyone know where I can find replacement parts for this Locomotive, or where I could go to have it repaired?

My Mother lucked out on ebay and got this unit for less than 20 dollars but it is missing some of the push rods and a few small detail parts.

I would really like to fix it for her but I dont want to have to spend more than it is worth, (can pick up a new one for around 70 on the walthers site)

Well I got a reply from Glaf Manor Hobbies

Dear Mr. Hitchcock
There are four different production models for the 0-8-0.

Stock No. 1271 Production Year 1969
Stock No. 1271 Production Year 1974
Stock No. 1271 Production Year 1974-1977
Stock No. 1271 Production Year 1977-1980

The pressure tank on the front is part of the boiler front. the same one fits all production models. The cost is $15.55. Lower detail just below the front of the engine. This varies for each production model and is called the under-frame. The cost varies each production model.
We suggest you buy a set of prints for each engine production to determine what parts are needed. Cost of the prints - parts breakdown is $5.00.

Thanks for Your Inquiry
Golf Manor Hobbies

Not sure if I am willing to spend almost 16 dollars for the end cap fpr a loco though, I can buy a new one of these for about 70 dollars

Ray Marinaccio

chessie1973,
I think I'd hold out till I found some used parts.
I've pieced together a number of Rivarrossi locos, It takes a while but the search is half the fun for me. I still have a few on the shelf in pieces and would rather not pay more in parts than I did the loco it's self.
In some cases I fabricated replacement parts then replaced them with the original parts when they turned up.
As for the different production versions it can be narrowed down by talking to people who have these locos.
I bought one in the early 70s (pre 74). It had a rectangular horizontally mounted motor in the cab with a primary gear reduction on the motor. I ran it to death. I used most of it's parts for kit-bash projects.
Recently I bought another (not sure what year version), It has the round vertical mounted motor in the firebox.
Putting a date on these may be as simple as Knowing when Rivarrossi changed motor design or coupler styles. If anyone knows when these changes were made it might be helpful.
Also, The 0-8-0 was built in simplified and deluxe versions as well as one with the motor in the tender.
I have a 1972 32nd edition AHM parts catalog, I could scan the pages on the 0-8-0 and Email them to you if you think it will help. I don't know if the part numbers would still be the same.

No need anymore,

I took the locomotive to my LHS today and offered it to him on trade for some things along with my small amount of N Scale stuff that I don't have room for.

He gave me 75 dollars credit for all of it so I picked up a few things for my layout instead like much needed switches and such for the track and a few hard to find pieces of rolling stock.

As Much as I wanted to fix up that old 0-8-0 I really didnt have the money to do it and since we only paid 17 dollars for it and it had an old vertically mounted open frame motor in it which tells me that it needs to be remotored as well soon since it ran VERY hot even after cleaning the motor and brushes thoroughly I decided to just cut my losses on it and instead use it as collateral towards my layout .

Medicine Man

Wise move. :thumb:

Just need to keep an eye open on "the BAY" for something better(just don't be bidding AGAINST ME :cry: ).

MM