I need help

Status
Not open for further replies.

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
I am new on forum, and I need help from you.

I would like to make some model of paper. I didn't make any paper model so far, but I liked to.

So, tell me - where I can find the basics? You know, some basic things for making paper models. For start, I would like to make something little easier, like some easy tank or something like too.

Anyway - I need basic help, how to make one paper model for start. What I need of materials and accessories, how to assemble and paint model and what should I start with?

Thank you!

C

cgutzmer

Welcome!

Click on downloads at the top. In the downloads area are some tutorials. Those are great starts.

Tanks are not really easy (at least if you make real tracks) :)

What types of models are you interested in? That will make giving suggestions much easier!

Chris

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
I suggest you check out the tutorials mentioned above, and then download Ralph Currell's V-1 Flying Bomb (V-1 flying bomb) and the 1/28 scale Cessna 172 at http://www.tzs.si/revija_tim/1999_20...72/priloga.zip. Both are free.

These two are fairly simple models that will teach you most of the basic techniques of paper modeling. And they make very nice display models. Currell's models and instructions are top-notch. The Priloga Cessna is a very well-designed kit. Its instructions are sparse; I've posted some instructions of my own here. I've recruited several new paper modelers with these kits.

Have fun and don't be afraid to ask questions. Every modeler here--even the ones who humble the rest of us--started without a clue. Welcome aboard!!

No worries,
--David

Attachments

• Priloga Cessna Instructions.pdf
    59.9 KB · Views: 27

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
Thanks!

I will try to make V-1 Flying Bomb, because I have to practice and make something easy for start.

Also, I will read Steve Brown's Cardmodelling FAQ...

Ron Caudillo

Creative Advisory Consultant
Staff member
Feb 8, 2004
Davenport, Iowa
Designing models

I design models by creating a flat pattern using traditional drafting methods. I draw it up in AutoCAD, but you also use just paper and pencil (with a few standard drafting tools) and scan the drawing into an electronic file for sharing. Many other designers use 3D software to design the model and them export it to software that can "unfold" the flat pattern. There are probably other methods as well. Each designer has their own method (and software) that works best for them. It's your choice on what method you choose.

If you want, I can send you a drafting tutorial I have in PDF form that shows how to develop a flat pattern from basic and intermediate shapes. Just PM or e-mail me.

Good luck in your designing! There are a LOT of great people here who can answer specific questions you may (and will) have. I look forward to seeing your work as you progress.

Best Regards,
Ron Caudillo
ronaldcaudillo@yahoo.com

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
OK, I downloaded plans for V-1 Flying Bomb, printed them, and now I am assembling this model.

Here is one picture (not very good quality) but you can see what I made for now:

What you say?

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
Update for my V-1 Flying Bomb :)

I had some problems with gluing but I will check Golden Bear tutorials (I found them, they are cool) to solve problems.

C

cgutzmer

What kind of glue are you useing and how are you applying it? try a toothpick if you arent already :) turning out good and straight so far!
Chris

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
I am using standard glue for paper - AERO,d.d. because I can't find anything else.

Also, I will try toothpick because I have to glue some little pieces of model.

My biggest problem is gluing and rolling for now...

dansls1

May 7, 2007
I have used a standard white glue for all my builds so far (except for clear canopies and using 'superglue' (cyanoacrylate) for gluing paper to wire). I put a blob of glue on a piece of plastic and then use a toothpick to apply it for everything.
Your V1 is looking good ;)

C

cgutzmer

Are you pre-rolling the paper? roll the paper into a tight cylinder around something like a doweling rod or round pencil. hold for a few seconds, it will spring back but hopefully be SMALLER than your intended size. then you put on some glue and it will be easy to hold. If your cylinders are small pieces of paper you can hold it in your hand (on the palm) and run something small (I use a tiny crochet hook) over it to make it roll. I think one of golden bears tutorials covers that part :)

I use a toothpick for applying all glue.
Chris

KCStephens

Sep 18, 2007
York, PA
Looking good so far :thumb:

Don't be afraid to make a mistake! Expirement with different ways of doing things, you will soon discover a technique that works best for you.

Remember it's only paper, you can always print out another copy and try again. Just don't give up. Each model you make will be better than the last.

blackarrow

Oct 10, 2007
Serbia
BTW, can you recommend me some airplanes and military vehicles that I can assembly after this model?

It has to be little bigger only...

sakrison

Banned
Jul 5, 2006
BTW, can you recommend me some airplanes and military vehicles that I can assembly after this model?
It has to be little bigger only...

Fly Model's Ki-45 Toryu is a great kit -- see http://forum.zealot.com/t142352/
So is Maly Modelarz' "Kate" -- see http://forum.zealot.com/t142731/

GPM's An-2 Colt was a lot of fun to build. So was Geli's Dc-3--with a nearly 3-ft wingspan.
Also, Fly Model's F-86/Mig-15 has two planes in one kit and both build up very well. Get the vacuformed canopies from Gomix (also 2 in one).
--David

Status
Not open for further replies.