I need Help Identifying This Log Loader

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
Surry Parkers stood up off the rails like that, but it looks kinda different.
aah.sized.jpg

Any idea where the pic came from?

What logging company may have used it?

SP is a Southern gig.

Oh, and

:wave: :wave: :wave: Welcome!!!!:wave: :wave: :wave:

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Logging

Thanks Shamus
I am also a member of the trainboard.com under the same user name.
I recognized your Cooncreek logo that is the same on your other user.
I have seen the Mcgriffert Loader and actually have talked to you about it through e mails.

As to the Surry Parker I will have to check around about that.
Are there any site you know of that have info on the loader?

Eric

Steam Donkey

Jul 9, 2002
Maple Ridge, BC
Visit site
Lidgerwood Tower Skidder

Hi Eric,

I'm mostly a lurker around these parts, but this time I think I may be able to help!

What you have is a photo of is a Lidgerwood Tower Skidder. In my opinion, one of the most fascinating pieces of logging equipment ever assembled. The link below has all of the answers to your questions.

http://www.steaminthewoods.com/towerskidders.htm

If you happen to have a spare $1,281.00 US laying around, you may be interested in the model from PCS. Makes me drool everytime I look at it! :cool:

http://www.railmodel.com/search/picturelink.asp?productid=5287

Stan

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Hello HO Modeler, and welcome to "The Gauge".

Surry Parkers were much, much smaller than the unit you pictured. An article and plans ran in the May/June 2003 Narrow Gauge & Short Line Gazette. McGifferts were also much smaller. One is on display at the Lake Superior Transportation Museum in Duluth, MN, by the way. I have been fortunate enough to have visited that one in person a number of years ago.

The machine in the photo is a tower skidder. These used a compound engine and usually combined loading and skidding functions in one unit, had large crews, and were a strictly high-production, big-time unit. They weigh up to 172,000 lbs. and can handle around 125,000 board-feet per day. Manufactirers included Lidgerwood, Clyde Iron Works, and, I believe, Willamette Iron & Steel Works and Washington Iron Works. The distinctive feature is the steel tower (works like a spar tree) between the boiler's stack and the front of the unit. These monsters were huge. The towers were 75-120 feet tall. The best reference I've run across is "In Search of Steam Donkeys" by Merv Johnson (c. 1988 by author and publihed by Timber Times, Hillsboro, OR). Overland produced a brass model in HO (cost around $1,000.00) and long ago, Paige Enterprise made some type of HO white metal and wood model.

They're quite a machine!
--Stu--

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Well Stan (Steam Donkey) you really have gone and done it now, with all that info from the link you posted I might just have to scratchbuild one for fun:D

Shamus

jon-monon

Aug 15, 2002
Cobblers Knob, IN
www.2guyzandsumtrains.com
As to the Surry Parker I will have to check around about that.
Are there any site you know of that have info on the loader?

I agree with Stu and he's already sited the NGSL issue. I was thinking it was a 2 part series, but could be mistaken. Surry Parker was made and used in Southern logging, and would make a great project for a smaller operation, esp. in NG.

http://www.ncroots.com/Beaufort/pinetowncata.htm

In defense of the little Surry Parker, there is a picture of one in the NGSL artical that is absolutely huge (permanantly mounted for transfers) :D

Edit: I have to correct myself, :confused: :confused: :confused: I think there was a Timber Times 2 part article. I'll have to look and see. Dain Bramage :(

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
To Shamus

Shamus

If you ever get around to building one. If you find information on te size and specifications of the machine could you post them or e mail them i would like to build one but as of yet have not found a link on the size of these huge machines or a clear enough or lare enough picture to warrant scratchbuilding off of.

And sizes would be helpfull

Eric

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Re: Loader & Skidder Plans

Originally posted by m_reusser
Bill Roy of Mackenzie Iron & Steel offers plansets for the Lidgerwood tower skidder (O & HO), as well as two styles of McGiffert loaders. (He also has a plan-set for various steam donkeys.)

Marc

Marc, How does one go about contacting Bill Roy? Do you have a link? I'm always interested in plans and plan-sets! Thanks.
--Stu--

Ho Modeler

Apr 6, 2004
Fox Valley
Visit site
Thanks Marc

Thanks for you information Marc it is much appreciated.
You said you had a Williamette publishing which includes a much larger model. Is there any way you could post those photos or e mail them to me?

Eric

grlakeslogger

Sep 2, 2003
WI, USA
Visit site
Thanks, Marc.

Hello Marc. Thank you for the "Timberbeast" info. Yes, I realize that, in any scale, that Lidgerwood would dwarf nearly anything around it. I'd still like a set of plans for one; they fascinate me! The other sets of plans for Clyde skidders, etc. seem much better proportioned to my layout. My freelanced HO layout depicts northern Wisconsin ca. 1947 in the Crandon-Argonne-Hiles area. I do not own a digital camera at present--waiting until I upgrade my somewhat old PC, hopefully later this year. The layout has the benchwork and subroadbed in place now. It is being built in my 13 ft. X 12 ft. den and is of the around-the-walls walk-in type. Since I work fairly slowly, most of the next year will be spent on bridges and track. That's slow stuuf anyway, since I build most of my own turnouts. Current projects include the aforementioned plus the depot for the lumber company town of Daniels (fictitious). I need the depot and a couple of other structures finished in order to lay out this scene at the entrance to the train room. The depot is built from the Bar Mills Scale Models "Whistle Stop Jct." kit with many, many added details.

My present Crandon & Northern layout is my third HO layout to depict logging. I learned as I went--the first was pretty simple, using small rod locos and MDC log cars back in the 80's. Both of the first two layouts came down with moves. They simply would not fit the space available in the new places. Since I enjoy working with craftsman kits, I've been acquiring the "pieces" for this one over the last twenty years. It amazes me how much more is available now. It's all been done on a budget, so being slow can be a blessing! I'll eventually get some pics up, but it will be a while. Besides, plywood and lumber is not all that interesting to look at.

Thanks again for the plans info!
--Stu--