I Need Help Finding A Book! (Or Two)

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
However, the Peavine continued to serve Stockport on a daily basis until the late 1970s. Soon after the Burlington Northern Railroad purchased the CB&Q, any rail lines that were deemed unprofitable or that competed with mainline operations were quickly taken out of service. Around 1978, several efforts were made in vain to keep this tiny rail spur from being completely abandoned, but the cost of continued operation could not be justified. As an engine rumbled into Stockport for a final visit early in 1980, this run on the little Peavine ended a chapter of history that had brought the Stockport area almost a full century of service.
I don't know about this.
I grew up in that area through the 70's and 80's and spent many summers with my Grandparents. I don't ever remember a train being active durring that time. Everything else I've read says the line completely went out in the mid 50's as well. I'll have to see what my Grandfather says. He may remember more than I do.

The rest of it is pretty accurate compated to what I have read though.
Where did you find it?

Renovo PPR said:
The great Peavine train wreck.
I have a copy of that photo saved in my photobucket account. :D
That would be something else I'd like to find more info about.
At least as far as what caused it and how they picked that huge monster up.

Renovo PPR

Just a Farmer
Dec 23, 2006
Somerset County PA
This may help you it is located in Stockport. You might know about it.

Peavine Line Museum 319-796-2245 or 319-796-4495

Hey who cares what people think. :) I just love history and have never met a nut I couldn't crack yet. Now I know more about the little gauge railroad that grew up in 1890. :)

Cannonball

More Trains Than Brains
Dec 4, 2006
St. Joseph, MO
This may help you it is located in Stockport. You might know about it.

Peavine Line Museum 319-796-2245 or 319-796-4495
I know about it. Never been inside though.
It's actually the old depot. One of these days I'm gonna have to get in there.
Renovo PPR said:
Hey who cares what people think. :) I just love history and have never met a nut I couldn't crack yet. Now I know more about the little gauge railroad that grew up in 1890. :)
If you like cracking nuts, keep trying to find that book. :D

marieb8378

Aug 31, 2007
Boone
Was just wondering if you have had any luck yet? I am from Stockport, I don't currently live there but get there every few months. I'm sure I could find someone that knows something if you are still looking for help. Just get back to me.
Marie