I like BIG buildings,

C

Catt

and here are some pix to prove it. :D :D :D

mattruc1.jpg

mattruc2.jpg

mattruc3.jpg

This is MAT Trucks the biggest customer of the GVR.There will be more building coming to the right of what you see here.

shamus

Registered Member
Dec 17, 2000
UK
Purrfect Catt, the structure look impressive. I also love hugh structures, here's my new sawmill, around 2foot long and 10" tall.
in H0.
Shamus

Attachments

• mill.jpg
    mill.jpg
    99.4 KB · Views: 194

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
Catt, what did you base that on? I'm also a fan of large buildings. My layout has Supierior Paper, the U.S.Steel Blast furnace, ADM, Roberts, Red Wing, etc.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Nice to see industry alive & well on the GVR!
Great looking model, Catt!
Looking forward to seeing all the expansion you've got planned, also!
There's a Ford truck plant near my house, & they ship out lots of trucks that just consist of cabs & chasis. These are stacked piggyback fashion on those 86' TTX flat cars. I assume they are transported to other facilities where various types of bodies (i.e. box vans, flatbeds, tankers, etc) are put on.
All kinds of parts are shipped into the plant (stamped metal, engine blocks, & parts..) in those big, hi-cube box cars.

C

Catt

Tyson,actual dimensions are (so far:D ) 10" wide x 20" long x 4 3/4" tall.

That's 134' wide x 268' long x 77' tall in N scale.

The whole complex will cover an area of 22" by 48" when finished.
Theres alot more scratchbuilding and track laying to do yet.

The story behind this is(ain't it fun making up your own history:D )when MAT Trucks of Canada decided to put a plant in Michigan they bought this old 4 story factory complex and remodeled it to suit their needs.They wisely included a peaked roof in the plans to help prevent leakage.

I think the real fun begins when I start to detail this puppy.

WM-N-fan

Jan 27, 2002
Hagerstown Md.
About 1/2 mile from my home, and directly next to my neighborhood, there's a Mack Truck Plant. I think they make engines there. Anyways, it's HUGE! There must be 20 different buildings each about 150,000 sq. ft. It has a huge water tower with the Mack logo on it. That might be a good detail. There also is a building with about 4 smokestacks. I'm wondering if it's a small power plant for it, because there's a huge genorator next to it. There's a huge aluminum mill about 10 miles away owned by Alcoa, that has a power plant. Maybe if you want a power plant, you can use a genorator kit and a pulp mill, which could be a good plant, from Superior.

C

Catt

Been thinking about that kit alot lately. It's a lot of money but you can do soooooooo much with it.:D :D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Catt, WM-N-Fan has a great idea with the water tower...great detail, & a great way to put the name in a prominent place.
Another thing to remember are the roof details...large factories likethese many times have roofs that are mazes of pipes, tanks, cooling units, air conditioners, & vent fans...
Roofs tend to be one of the most visible features on a layout, so it pays to make them interesting to look at.

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
That Superior Paper kit has a TON of great details!
Also, it contains two large buildings that can represent a lot of real estate.
I've used it in building two factories on my layout...the EVM Corporation (chemical plant) & Leigh Foods (food processing plant currently under construction) ...& I will still have pieces left over!
Of sourse I don't have the room to build those massive structures like Catt does :(

C

Catt

Charlie, you could do big buildings as low relief flats againest the backdrop.I will be doing alot of buildings that will be no more than an inch or two thick but be quite tall and long.

To make buildings look longer than they really are try doing only two walls .one wall short and abutting the backdrop and the other wall long and going up to the backdrop. Kind of like a checkmark when you look straight at from above.

Does any of this rambling make any sence to ya?

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
It makes perfect sense Catt!
When your layout is only 13" deep, like mine is, low relief is what it's all about!
Here's a picture of what I used part of that Superior Paper kit for...along with part of a New River Mine kit, some DPM wall scraps, & some various tanks & do-dads...
I tried to get the LOOK of a big factory, in a very small space.

Attachments

• mvc-012f.jpg
    mvc-012f.jpg
    52.1 KB · Views: 134
C

Catt

Well it impresses me too.:) Looks like it's been around a long time owned by a lot of diiferent companies and used to make all kinds of interesting "things" It looks like it just growed there.:D

WM-N-FAN the building is based solely on my overactive imagination.:D

Drew1125

Jan 28, 2001
Catt,
Thanks for the compliment! :)
That structure is based on my over active imagination, too! In fact, it's so over active that I came up with a history to go with the plant...
It started out in the early 1900's as the E.V. Maupin Mfg. Co. They made parts for sewing machines. During WW2 the plant was re-tooled for armaments production. At the end of the war, E.V. Maupin was quick to jump into the booming plastics market, changing its name to Maupin Chemical. At this point, (circa 1960) the company has grown into the immense complex pictures above, & is now known by an even more modern title...the EVM Corporation.
It sprawls along nearly the entire back wall of my layout. In fact, the picture only shows the middle portion. It is still under construction as of this posting.

billk

Jun 12, 2001
Marion, IA, USA
Details, details

Charlie -

I was looking at the building "complex" I work at and it reminded me of your structure. It has, over the years, been expanded, modified, and generally chopped up all to h***. Some things I noticed that you might to want to add:

- Ventilators of all shapes and sizes on the walls and roofs.

- Pipes coming out of the sides and top for no apparent reason, and going nowhere. (Q: What's that for? A: No one remembers, it's always been there. It's not used for anything, just too much trouble to remove it.)

- Outside lights, again of various types.

- Depending on the era, an outside smoking area. (And if it's cold out, a few bundled up people. Can you simulate shivering?)

- Differing levels of maintainence on different sections. (Our budget only allows to paint one wall this year.)

- Water tanks, air conditioners, cooling towers, antennae, whats-its on the roofs.

- Various types of doors - roll-up, slide sideways, hinged, big enough for trucks, fork lifts, people.

In general, don't make any two details the same.

Bill