I just discovered my layout theme!

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
Go for Life Like and Athearn. Athearn Genisis makes a Canadian version of the SD75 (which obviously is the SD75I) in undecorated kit form.

Thank you all for the great tips, and ideas.

I contacted my LHS today, and found out they have an undecorated SD70I in stock, was hoping for the SD75I, but this is just as good!

Anyway within the next week or so the Grand Trunk Western SD70I will be born!

Does anyone have any tips on what kind of paint to use, or painting techniques....airbrush vs. brush vs. spraypaint?

MadHatter

Charging at full tilt.
If you can, use an airbrush and Tamiya or Humbrol paints.

Spray on a warm day. The air (i.e. the air around you, outside) should be warm dry- don't take a chance if the air feels wet because the paint won't adhere nicely to the model.

Don't rush, spray in even strokes and complete a full stroke past the model before going in the opposite direction.

That's my two cents.

doctorwayne

Which GTW scheme are you planning to do? If it's the green and gold, my suggestion would be SMP Accupaint CNR Green (AP-30) and CNR Yellow (AP-19), applied with an airbrush over Floquil grey primer. If you can find them, SMP Accucals will do the lettering with exact colour matches, although you'll need to improvise on the fit for the larger locomotive. SMP also makes a black, although I usually use Floquil Engine Black. Scalecoat also makes CNR Green and CNR Yellow, which would be my second choice. If you're planning on using a brush, the Accupaint is not a good choice, in my opinion. For the blue scheme, Floquil may have the correct colours, although I've not done that paint scheme.

Wayne

Which GTW scheme are you planning to do? If it's the green and gold, my suggestion would be SMP Accupaint CNR Green (AP-30) and CNR Yellow (AP-19), applied with an airbrush over Floquil grey primer. If you can find them, SMP Accucals will do the lettering with exact colour matches, although you'll need to improvise on the fit for the larger locomotive. SMP also makes a black, although I usually use Floquil Engine Black. Scalecoat also makes CNR Green and CNR Yellow, which would be my second choice. If you're planning on using a brush, the Accupaint is not a good choice, in my opinion. For the blue scheme, Floquil may have the correct colours, although I've not done that paint scheme.

Wayne

Yeah it's the Blue and Red scheme for GTW that I'm planning, always kinda liked it.

Saving the green and gold for CN locos.

Thanks for the paint tips :mrgreen::thumb: