I have officially gone crazy and it's YOUR FAULT, Gearz!

Status
Not open for further replies.

murphyaa

Designer
sjsquirrel said:
So that would make Gearz TeenyViper model exactly the right size. Now, all we have to do is have everyone monitoring this thread build a Teeny viper and send it to Ekuth. Then we can work out a simple launch tube and launch mechanism and have the big Galactica launching little Vipers all over his house. That would nicely complete his transition to insanity and begin the process for any other household members

Along with any household pets.

Next he'll need a fleet of teeny cylons for his fleet of teeny vipers to shoot down.

E

ekuth

LMAO!

@SteveO:

What's a greebler?

@murphyaa:

Original version by Gearz (my model anyway) is exactly 18 inches long, 8 inches wide.

@sjsquirrel:

STOP GIVING ME IDEAS!!!! :razz:
Although those lit landing bays do demand a viper or two in there, don't they?

And the cylons would need a Basestar, and a Ressurection ship... wait, I'm mixing my series up.

I've been working on the lighting for the bridge module and it's slow going. The bridge itself has been giving me fits- first I tried LED's with open holes and I didn't like the effect... so I'm trying it with fiber optics and it seems to be working well. Although I'm discovering that working with fiber optics is a major PITA! GAAAAAAHHHHHH!!!!!

Hopefully I'll have some beauty shots of the bridge for you later. The glue is drying now. :roll:

P

paulhbell

I would like to know how you are going to display the 'monster' galactica. You could suspend it from your ceiling, although it may pull the roof down.

E

ekuth

@paulhbell:

I'm actually thinking of donating it to my local library as a way to stimulate interest in the hobby-

The larger it gets, the more my wife begins to frown at me. You know- 'that' look. :wink:

plasticman

Hey Ekuth. I've got the original JPG file for that ship. How did you go about cutting and enlarging the parts?
I'd really love to try that baby!!

E

ekuth

@plasticman:

See pages 2 and 3 for the answer. Especially post #20 on page 2. page 3 has a shot of how I split one of the pages.

Good luck, this isn't a small project in any stretch of the imagination. You'd think building bigger = easier, but it doesn't... 8)

Stev0

Greebles is a modeling term for technical looking parts that have no outward meaning other than to make the model look more technical.

A borg cube is an excess of greebling ... in fact it's all greebles.

plasticman

The BIG one!

Thanks Ekuth. Guess wot? I'm going to have a go at that!!
Probably need a lot of internal reinforcement tho'.
Still, they say madness is contagious eh?
Good luck.

Bowdenja

greebles wobble, but they don't fall down................

I know, I know. It's supposed to be weebles. But reading that word in the post made that stupid tag line popped into my head and I had to share the pain with everyone:grin:

Cool idea about putting the model at the public library. Kudos ekuth!:grin:

john

Gearz

According to my little number cruncher, at 18" the scale of the stock Galactica works out to that ever popular scale of 1 / 2767 ..Oh well.. food for thought for the next project.~. Have some sort plan BEFORE starting!

Sjs ~ lol.. I Like your idea! ~ I want one... I can see a tight grouping of tiny Vipers drilled into a bullseye on the wall!.. You'd have to include a disclaimer
' NOT SUITABLE FOR CHILDREN UNDER THE AGE OF 45"
btb.. You may have mentioned it? does the Revel Galactica kit give an official scale?

ekuth ~ Excellent idea for hobby promo, although, COUNT BALTAR would be VERY disappointed at your selflessness!! You could also stick it up the nose of your local IPMS club ...(errr ...sorry that should be UNDER their nose) .. Paper = Unbound...

Attachments

• scale.gif
    scale.gif
    5 KB · Views: 535
E

ekuth

@ Gearz:

LOL. Yeah, you're right, my avatar seems to be frowning at me in disapproval...

Progress for today:

Next to NONE! :mad: :mad: :mad:

Gah! I finished the fiber optics for the bridge only to discover I hated it worse than the 1st attempt with LED's. Soooooo... I removed the bridge.

And half the nose in the process.

Fortunately, I've learned from my mistakes, developed a new technique for diffusion of the LED's and I'm fairly satisfied with the results. :roll:

So, here's a couple of shots of the bridge lighting, one with lights on and one with them off. As you can see, even with the lights on, they're clear and bright, and you can see ALL of them, which is one of the things that was ticking me off with the fiber optics. What you see here are three yellow LED's crammed into the bridge there. Light diffusion is brought to you by... hot glue! I've discovered that if you fill the area in and around the LED's, once the hotglue (low temp, obviously) cools, it turns cloudy, which provides a VERY nice diffusion effect. How's that for ingenuity?

View attachment 5802

View attachment 5803

Still have ALOT of work to do on this. I've decided to completely light each section before proceeding to the next, so the bridge module will be my main focus for now. Then, I'll get back to work on the midsection. Tomorrow I'll have some shots of the indent areas on the bridge module for you, and hopefully the side lighting as well.

Stay tuned! :grin:

Attachments

• P1020032.JPG
    P1020032.JPG
    60.7 KB · Views: 457
  • P1020033.JPG
    P1020033.JPG
    54.6 KB · Views: 455

murphyaa

Designer
How long is you slightly enlarged version? I calculated about 48", give or take a power outlet. Unless you have nonstandard power outlets in your soon to be spacedock/home.

BTW the lighting looks awesome. Once you get that baby lit up, any Cylons will be quaking in their boots.

lizzienewell

ekuth said:
Same view but with ruler and model cat (cat is 1:1 scale) for reference
View attachment 5688
That's not a cat. It's a Felinegi, an alien that hunts the depths of space ready to tear appart helpless spaceships. Brave Captain Ekuth though can trick the Felinegi into chasing a laser.

--Lizzie

plasticman

Enlarging AGAIN!

Hey Ekuth. Did you clean up the fold lines etc when you enlarged the parts?
When I tried your method, they were pretty heavy-very noticeable-but I can't really see them on your pics.

E

ekuth

@murph:

From nose to the end of the midsection, the model is currently 3 feet long. Measurement across the wide section of the bridge is approximately 1 foot wide.

@steveo:

Well, I'll cross that bridge when I come to it, or I'll donate it. We'll see. :-D

@lizzie:

ROFL! Wrong series, but right concept. That's Squeek, the roving space alien that seems intent on jumping up on my workarea at exactly the same time I'm messing about with some really fiddly crucial bit...

@plasticman:

On certain areas I did, yes, but for the most part I simply cut to the inside edge of the line. I'm trying to resist the temptation to modify, recolor or clean up any of the parts. Not only would this take an insane amount of time, I wanted to see how far I could push Gearz textures before pixellation set in. Even at this scale, they look really good.

Now then, after I've had some breakfast, I'll get back to business.

sjsquirrel

Can you post them?

ekuth said:
@plasticman:

See pages 2 and 3 for the answer. Especially post #20 on page 2. page 3 has a shot of how I split one of the pages.

Good luck, this isn't a small project in any stretch of the imagination. You'd think building bigger = easier, but it doesn't... 8)

Ekuth, can't you just post the files you've developed for others to use? You could stick them in the parts bin, or maybe Gearz would even like to have them on his download page.

Just an idea. And btw, is anyone out there making a tiny Galactica :twisted:

E

ekuth

@sjsquirrel:

I would, but I haven't been saving them as I go along... :cry: I'd have to backtrack in a big way. After I'm done, I may do that (with Gearz' permission of course) so that he can host it for interested folks.

E

ekuth

A little more progress...

Well, the lightwork on the bridge module proceeds apace. A couple of shots for you all (not up to my usual photo standards, but I was in a hurry)

Lights on:

View attachment 5894

Lights off closeup:

View attachment 5895

Lights off w/bridge:

View attachment 5896

Now keep in mind this is just the back section under the indent areas that I've lit so far. The lights continue on towards the nose as well- that part tomorrow.

Within sight of moving on to the midsection!

Attachments

• P1040036.JPG
    P1040036.JPG
    77.9 KB · Views: 352
  • P1040037.JPG
    P1040037.JPG
    51.2 KB · Views: 352
  • P1040038.JPG
    P1040038.JPG
    52.5 KB · Views: 351
Status
Not open for further replies.